• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to paint camo?

redjordan

I have looked and looked and have not been able to find a thread on this. My deuce is currently green, and I want to camo it to the pattern found in the manuals.

My question is how is this done? the current finish is quite nice, so I think it would make a fine base coat. Are there stencils used? do you freehand spray/brush based on the diagram in the manual? what is the right way to go about doing it?

and what paint would you guys recommend and from where?

Thanks!! :grd:

WOLFMAN1

there are some guys on here that could tell you about that. look up a member called barrman, and gunboy, they know alot about this stuff. stencils would probably be best depends on what type of camo you want to do. stuff like digital camo would really need a stencil i guess. good luck. some one suggested gillspie out of Raport texas. some one correct me if i'm wrong.

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Theres a TM , but the Army barely follows it. I free hand my trucks. Look at a picture and go. Get a pic of all 4 sides and the top of one. If your truck is 383 CARC green then you have the right base coat. Then id buy 383 CARC Brown from Rapco parts Co . in Texas. Then get RUSTOLEUM FLAT BLACK from Wal Mart or whoever sells it. Thats a perfect match to Military black without having to pay the extra money. -Jay

roscoe

I think it depends on what you want to spend and how "authentic" you want it to be. I don't plan on needing carc ( a nice rust resistant paint would be nice though) so I went with the rustoleum camo (not very rust resistant by the way). I've painted mine several times to try to get the look I want. I agree with the above that there doesn't seem to be a lot of consistancy in the military applied camo jobs.

waayfast

I looked at many trucks on GL and noticed they seem to follow a set pattern for the most part.Even the vinyl cargo covers are "painted" to the same pattern---the colors(green,brown or black) on the cover will continue where that color on the metal ends.In other words the cover pattern follows the trucks pattern.

After studying pic after pic of trucks on GL, I printed pics of all sides.Held the pic of whatever side I was doing at the moment in one hand and copied the pattern with the spray gun with the other!(freehand).

I used Gillispie thinned with Xylene for the green and brown in a SATA gravity feed gun.NAPA spray cans for the flat black.

See the results in my Avatar pic.

Flyingvan911

Once air and moisture get under the paint, the rusting process starts. Painting over the old paint just hides the rust a little longer. Even sanding is difficult because the chemistry of the rust goes deeper into the metal. And that's why I HATE rust.

Most people can't tell if the black and brown spots are per the TM or not. They either think it's cool or not. Paint your truck green then get 2 eight year old boys. Give one brown and the other black paint and tell them to put handprints all over the truck. Ha, ha. I bet it would work very well as camo.

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Thanks, I started using Wal Mart Krylon cammo but its way off to that CARC colors are.

Hey or go tan , cant mess that up. Just did my first tan truck last week.

Last edited:

gunboy1656

there are some guys on here that could tell you about that. look up a member called barrman, and gunboy, they know alot about this stuff. stencils would probably be best depends on what type of camo you want to do. stuff like digital camo would really need a stencil i guess. good luck. some one suggested gillspie out of Raport texas. some one correct me if i'm wrong.
Thanks for the nod.

You are looking for TB 43-0209. Gives you all the views, and info for stencils.

Jones

Engineer233's illustration shows you what colors go where. #1 is green, #2 is the earth tone most prevelant in the theatre of operation (your neck of the woods), #3 is black.

There's a lot of reading in the manual he posted but it'll tell you everything you need to know-- lettering, special markings, painting procedures.

Paint the entire truck the 383 green base coat (already done in your case), then chalk off the different areas and paint the earth tone as your second coat. The shadows (black) are last.

The manual tells you that the chalk lines are just to guide the painter. There are very few exceptions where actual dimensions for the patterns are specified.

The only other thing thats handy to have is an overspray guide. They're described in the book.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks