• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to preserve tarp cover

ichudov

I have a homemade trailer that I made from a M105A2 bed:

Homemade Trailer With M105A2 Bed

The nice thing about it was a 12v brake and a much lower setting of the bed.

It was good, but I always wanted to have it covered. As luck had it, I recently bought a M105A2 and got myself stake sides, top bows and a like new canvas tarp cover.

It all fits together very nicely and I am delighted to have a functional cover.

I am concerned, however, that as years go by, the hot Illinois sun and its deadly UV rays would ruin this cover.

So, I wanted to know if anyone knows how to preserve this tarp.

I am thinking, perhaps, to find some sort of a UV protectant spray that I could apply once in a while?

Or should I just throw a cheap tarp over it, and change said tarp every year?

Last edited:

cbvet

If it is in fact canvas, not vinyl, "Canvak" from Cabella's works well as a water-repellant/preservative. But canvas left out in the sun is still going to deteriorate in a very few years. I'd cover it with a silver tarp if I were you.
If it's actually vinyl, there are a lot of vinyl preservatives out there. I don't know if they are really any good.
I used to get low-luster Armor All, but haven't seen it lately. I'm just guessing it probably helped some.

ichudov

If it is in fact canvas, not vinyl, "Canvak" from Cabella's works well as a water-repellant/preservative. But canvas left out in the sun is still going to deteriorate in a very few years. I'd cover it with a silver tarp if I were you.
If it's actually vinyl, there are a lot of vinyl preservatives out there. I don't know if they are really any good.
I used to get low-luster Armor All, but haven't seen it lately. I'm just guessing it probably helped some.
I am sorry, I was sloppy with words. The cover is VINYL, at least it seems to be such, like a vinyl impregnated fabric.

Any suggestions for that?

cbvet

Repeat -- If it's actually vinyl, there are a lot of vinyl preservatives out there. I don't know if they are really any good.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The main thing I've noticed that gives up on these covers is the stitching. The stitching will rot and although the vinyl is still good, the cover will fall apart at the seams. What I do is keep the covers folded up and in the dry and only use them when I'm accually covering up some cargo in the trailer or truck.

rlwm211

Silicone spray can keep the water from getting into the seams. It is a fair preservative for Vinyl as well, but will make the cover shiny, and that is not a normal condition for a military tactical cover. Another option you mentioned was to cover the top and that might be the best idea, or pull the m105 cover and use a differnt tarp for the winter and put the original on for the season you will use the trailer with the cover. I plan on doing the same with my 105.

RL

ichudov

Silicone spray can keep the water from getting into the seams. It is a fair preservative for Vinyl as well, but will make the cover shiny, and that is not a normal condition for a military tactical cover. Another option you mentioned was to cover the top and that might be the best idea, or pull the m105 cover and use a differnt tarp for the winter and put the original on for the season you will use the trailer with the cover. I plan on doing the same with my 105.

RL
I mostly care about usability and longevity, not so much about authentic looks. I use this trailer to make money. So, if silicone spray can preserve vinyl, I would love to use it. What sort of spray do you have in mind, specifically?

My attitude is: :grd:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you're not concerned about looks I'd look into covering the bows with some sheetmetal. That would make a more permanent roof.

rlwm211

You want to use pure 100% silicone. Any pertroleum disillates would be counter productive and also possibly harm the vinyl. I know that I have used Silicone instead of armor all and could not tell the differnce. Typically, food grade silicone has no foreign materials in it.

RL

mistaken1

Wal-Mart has a silicone based water proofing spray in the sporting goods section (designed to water proof fabrics). That may work for your application.

Scarecrow1

I dont see the harm in throwing a cheap cover over it . That is just what I'm going to do . I know from the past that
Mother Nature can be a bit hard on anything left to her care . Most Farm suppy places have some really good covers at a cheap price . They are far easier to replace than a 105 cover . Good luck.....

ichudov

I will use a belt AND suspenders approach. I bought a gallon of "303 protectant", which is VERY well regarded for similar uses (boats). In addition, I will throw a cheap tarp over it.

I put a sheet of plywood between the top bows and the vinyl to straighten it out, to avoid any formation of puddles.

i

Akicita

I dont see the harm in throwing a cheap cover over it . That is just what I'm going to do .
I bought the tarp you see in the picture from a Tractor Supply store. It was inexpensive and juuuust large enough to cover the bed with the troop seats installed. However, this tarp already shows wear after just two applications. It is good enough for my purposes but I would not recommend it if you need a tarp frequently.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks