• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to: Purge valve rebuild- with pics

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys-

I had the issue where my Purge valve was sticking open. Followed some advice and lubed it to no avail. It turns out the O-ring inside had disintegrated, so I had to rebuild.
No one was able to find the TM section for rebuilding the Purge valve on the dryer, so I figured I'd be the lab rat and post my results, so here you go.
(This is literally the easiest thing I've done on the truck).

Here's what you need:

Tools:
8mm socket and 3" extension
Snap ring pliers
Regular pliers
Crescent wrench for the air line.

Parts:
Air Dryer Purge Assembly ( plunger with o rings) (Air Plus and Purest Dryers)Napa/TruckPro/HaldexDA33115 ($109 and change after tax at NAPA).

The rebuild kit comes with lube and everything you need, so you're good there.

In retrospect, I could have done this without dismounting the dryer, but as I didn't know what I was getting into, I removed it from the truck to work on it.

First, using the crescent wrench, disconnect this airline, as it will be in the way:

Screenshot_20240304_163313_Gallery.jpg

Next, using the 8mm socket, remove these three bolts and half plate and valve cover:

Screenshot_20240304_163358_Gallery.jpg

Next is the old snapring, remove it and using pliers, twist and pull the old plunger assembly out:

20240304_152929.jpg

20240304_152935.jpg

(I cleaned the valve housing really good at this point).

Install the supplied Orings in the rebuild kit on the new plunger and using the supplied grease, lube it up and insert it into the housing and install the new snap ring included in the kit:
20240304_154555.jpg

Reinstall your cover, reattach the air line and test!

(Note, there is a wonky half cover that is between the bolt heads and the assembly cover.)

Any questions, feel free to reach out!

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Guys-

I had the issue where my Purge valve was sticking open. Followed some advice and lubed it to no avail. It turns out the O-ring inside had disintegrated, so I had to rebuild.
No one was able to find the TM section for rebuilding the Purge valve on the dryer, so I figured I'd be the lab rat and post my results, so here you go.
(This is literally the easiest thing I've done on the truck).

Here's what you need:

Tools:
8mm socket and 3" extension
Snap ring pliers
Regular pliers
Crescent wrench for the air line.

Parts:
Air Dryer Purge Assembly ( plunger with o rings) (Air Plus and Purest Dryers)Napa/TruckPro/HaldexDA33115 ($109 and change after tax at NAPA).

The rebuild kit comes with lube and everything you need, so you're good there.

In retrospect, I could have done this without dismounting the dryer, but as I didn't know what I was getting into, I removed it from the truck to work on it.

First, using the crescent wrench, disconnect this airline, as it will be in the way:

View attachment 918301

Next, using the 8mm socket, remove these three bolts and half plate and valve cover:

View attachment 918302

Next is the old snapring, remove it and using pliers, twist and pull the old plunger assembly out:

View attachment 918303

View attachment 918304

(I cleaned the valve housing really good at this point).

Install the supplied Orings in the rebuild kit on the new plunger and using the supplied grease, lube it up and insert it into the housing and install the new snap ring included in the kit:
View attachment 918308

Reinstall your cover, reattach the air line and test!

(Note, there is a wonky half cover that is between the bolt heads and the assembly cover.)

Any questions, feel free to reach out!
Nice! Few pictures, a little explanation, test and SMILE!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks