• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to register a modified 5-ton in TX?

dixonhotrods

I have 1991, m931a2. I live in texas. Purchased with no title, so got bonded title and insurance and began customizing the truck. Now it has a gray and black flatbed. The truck color is gray. I went to local county license and tag office to get new plates. They let me register it as a motorized vehicle in the state of texas, however 2 months later i get a letter in the mail stating they had revoked my license plates, claiming it is not street worthy since it was modified. Can someone tell me how to license this truck in the state of texas? Contact me by phone if you wish. (940) 550-5660. Thank you, scott dixon

Last edited by a moderator:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Put it back to original condition and register/title it as a Historic Military Vehicle. Then do 20 pinwheel turns to the left, 10 to the right, drop to your knees and beg the King of Military Vehicles for forgiveness for screwing with the vehicle in the first place.

Hope that helps.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How to put license plates on military truck in texas

In Oklahoma we usually use bolts. ;-)

Changed the title to reflect you actual question.

armytruck63

You have changed a tractor into a cargo truck, which is a different classification, but I fail to see how this would have change the roadworthiness of the truck. Are there other modifications, such as removing an axle, that the state finds objectionable?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have 1991, m931a2. I live in texas. Purchased with no title, so got bonded title and insurance and began customizing the truck. Now it has a gray and black flatbed. The truck color is gray. I went to local county license and tag office to get new plates. They let me register it as a motorized vehicle in the state of texas, however 2 months later i get a letter in the mail stating they had revoked my license plates, claiming it is not street worthy since it was modified. Can someone tell me how to license this truck in the state of texas? Contact me by phone if you wish. (940) 550-5660. Thank you, scott dixon
It sounds like your only telling part of the story , it sounds like there are more mods than a flatbed and and paint job . Please post pictures and a complete list of mods you did to it for us to be any help at all .

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a nice looking truck, it's a shame they won't let you register it.

Navy trucks are grey in color so that should not be an issue. Maybe they don't like the punisher grill.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the business name on the doors you need to be D.O.T compliant for a commercial vehicle and commercial plates . Take in for your required annual safety inspection for a commercial vehicle and they will tell you what needs to done to make it road legal .

Ford Mechanic

If you were in Carolina is say go see your DMV inspection and theft office. It's a different office than where you would get your plates or drivers license. Here every one that has a state inspection license has to answer to them also. Here they would be the ones to help set you straight. They are the ones who actually issue the bonded titles, they can also assign a vin to a vehicle if it doesn't have one or they don't know how to find it. My first M35 had a NC assigned vin due to blank data plates.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is highly unusual. What type of registration was revoked? The truck resembles a rollback wrecker, so it appears they want you to get tow truck plates and register with the TDLR and all that mess. This should all be explained to you by the tax office or the TXDMV office in Austin.

Last edited:

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It does look intended to haul vehicles. If you were to install tool boxes, small crane/hoist, etc you could get away with registering it as "utility truck". If it's anything for hauling vehicles like a wrecker in any way they will reject you because you have to be a licensed tow truck driver working for a state approved business in good standing that does that type of work. Been there and done that. Since the truck isn't military in appearance anymore any FMV/antique is out. There are issues having a business name on the door - already covered by porkysplace. You may have to go commercial or change it's functionality/appearance.

saddamsnightmare

June 14th, 2015.

Boy, when you altered that truck, you really opened a can of worms. If I were the inspector I would say rollback or wrecker, but not a military truck..... If you put the truck back to its military status you might make FMV if you repaint it and take the name off of the cab door.... Otherwise they are going to get you for a commercial plate fee, and I bet that will be hefty if based on weight, PLUS you WILL have to meet Federal and Texas DOT standards for five ton trucks (commercial)....Ouch!aua

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So my question is which state is the MV friendliest to register?! lol...Im thinking TN...
You should start a thread on that subject. My vote is TX, where else can you register a 2015 MV for $50 for 5 years with no inspection required?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks