• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to remove a piston through the exhaust port

Kaiserjeeps

I had a blown head gasket. Removal showed my rear head on my 69 kaiser M35 had cracks in all cylinders. I found two new style heads (they have a valley between the valves verses flat) and found they had a problem. The first one was mouse related. Lots of pee and corrosion in several intake ports completely stuffed with millions of seeds. A little phosphoric acid and it was fine.
The exhaust manifold came off and there poking up out of a port was a bunch of sooty aluminum. The cylinder surface was beat to heck. I could not look close since it went from bench to truck quick on a forklift.

Kinda funny. Never assume it is ready to run. Not sure why I don't get pictures. I have the IMG in the edit mode but still shows a link in real time.

The machinist found some pretty big issues. I am glad I took in my cracked head for some donor valves.

The finished cylinder. This guy is great. He said he picked aluminum out of the port walls with a dental pick.

Now I need to install them.:jumpin:

Last edited:

Stalwart

I saw an RD400 2-stroke mororcycle do that at night. He as going 75-80 mph and the sparks were 150-200' long. The piston lasted about 30 seconds . . .

Kaiserjeeps

I don't know Gimp. But it keeps the heads from cracking. Recovery4x4, My motor was fine except the head gasket and head cracks. I had not planned on anything else. I just did a rear main, all new clutch. I had all the intake and exhaust off a while back. My LTD is a good sound motor. It actually pulled and ran well. I want to get it running strong again and then swap in my LDS.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sure looks like the mouse was chewing on the valve. Must be one tough mouse.....:mrgreen:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks