• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to remove tire from MRAP wheels

Ford Mechanic

Use a ratchet strap around the beadlock to put it in a oval shape then all it takes is 2 big pry bars to get it out. I did it with no soldier B, vehicles, or heavy equipment, now putting them back in is the harder part till you really get it down pat.

w3azel

The cheap mans way I use is unbolt the rims. Pry the one face off. I prefer oil along the rim edge over soapy water. Its 10,000x better just makes a mess. Then flip the tire over and have the tire just sitting on the rims inner face. I use two big rubber chock blocks. Place oil along the bead and use a sledge or 3lb hammer. Work your way along and the tire will drop down around the chock blocks while the rim stays supported on top of them. This technique worked for me on the side of the road.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The cheap mans way I use is unbolt the rims. Pry the one face off. I prefer oil along the rim edge over soapy water. Its 10,000x better just makes a mess. Then flip the tire over and have the tire just sitting on the rims inner face. I use two big rubber chock blocks. Place oil along the bead and use a sledge or 3lb hammer. Work your way along and the tire will drop down around the chock blocks while the rim stays supported on top of them. This technique worked for me on the side of the road.
Any issues with the oil breaking down the rubber in the tires?

trider

Ok an update on this I started taking them apart today some of them are harder to get the larger half the rim off the tire. I have gotten one disassembled down to the tire and run flat. First thing I tried was cutting it with a sawzall but the blade got hot and started smoking and stopped cutting. I tried two different sizes of brand new blades. Then I tried to ratchet strap the run flat into an oval, I barley got it to an egg shape with two large ratchet straps and all the clicks I could get on them. Then when this didn't work too well I left the ratchet straps on and strapped it to a tree and tried to pull it out I stopped when my 3/4 ton 4x4 Duramax was spinning its tires and the tire chained to the tree was starting to take the shape of nothing resembling a tire. This is where I stopped for the day. 8 hours of working on 4 tires and none are completely finished. Should I be using soapy water to try and pull the run flat out as well?

welldigger

Yes. Lube thoroughly with soapy water. Don't be stingy with it. The tire will distort considerably when you pull it out but it shouldn't hurt the tire.

ke5eua

Last edited:

rustystud

Any issues with the oil breaking down the rubber in the tires?
Yes the oil and grease will breakdown the rubber. In fact there is an article in PS magazine on this telling the soldiers to stop using oil and grease and use the special "tire slime" . I'll try and find it and post it.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks