• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to respond to unsupportive comments?

99nouns

Yesterday someone told me that my M927-A2 is stupid ugly green truck that leaked, exploded transfer cases, and it was nothing but a problematic worthless failure and waste of money.

I was speechless and this is happening 2nd time and I need help responding these criticizing comments from experienced members please.

Thank you,

:x I feel terrible.

Al Harvey

Try one of these:

It's a piece of history that represents our armed forces and equipment used by them. I drive it in memory of those who have served.

That's fine, it's not for sale anyway.

True, but I love the truck and what it represents. (goes with the first comment.)

It's cheaper then a Lamborghini and is more useful.

Requital

Personally, that sounds exactly what my wife would say. She has expressed similar thoughts about previous projects. If it is your wife saying those things, good luck with a civil reply. If it is others making those comments, then the responses given thus far are very good. My usual response to non-wife comments goes along the lines, well, it isn't any of your business what I chose to do as long as my family is clothed, fed, and has a roof over their heads due to the income I earn. Just my opinion.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Smile, and walk on.

Rmtaunton

Have no worries and this will probably be the same person who will call you dead on the road one day in there car. Just make sure you pick them up in your truck :)

99nouns

Try one of these:

It's a piece of history that represents our armed forces and equipment used by them. I drive it in memory of those who have served.

That's fine, it's not for sale anyway.

True, but I love the truck and what it represents. (goes with the first comment.)

It's cheaper then a Lamborghini and is more useful.
I think that's the most appropriate answer...

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tell them "Maybe that was your experience, but I've read the TMs and know how to drive and maintain it correctly".

OR

"Even with a blown engine and exploded transfer case, it is still worth 1/2 what I paid for it. Until then, my time with it is priceless. How does your new pickup compare with that?"

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tell them "Maybe that was your experience, but I've read the TMs and know how to drive and maintain it correctly".

OR

"Even with a blown engine and exploded transfer case, it is still worth 1/2 what I paid for it. Until then, my time with it is priceless. How does your new pickup compare with that?"
With reading the daily posts on SS that statement could be considered a outright lie , if told by many of the owners.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just tell people its cheaper than a psychiatrist.

All serious though, I do look at my truck as an investment. I wouldn't want to buy a stock deuce for $10,000 then decide to sell it a couple years later for $3000. If I decided to sell my Deuce, would I get all my money back out of it? I would think I would.... but I don't plan on it. It is too much fun and a relatively inexpensive and practical hobby. At the end of the day, if it makes you happy and it is not taking food off the table and you still hold family as number one priority... I don't see anything wrong.

Now horses.... that is a hobby I don't understand. But that is another topic and I respect other peoples hobbies. We all need something to make us happy. :)

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I favor the response, "That's a shame your truck didn't work out for you when you owned one" ... "Oh, I see so you've never owned a military vehicle?"

Or "If I wanted your opinion, I would have asked for it."

Everybody seems to have anecdotes they believe constitute evidence about every piece of military hardware ever made and how great or terrible it is. I'll bet your opinionated acquaintance was a special forces seal when he served in the merchant marine. Of course his delta force black ops service record is probably so secret he couldn’t tell you about it.

74M35A2

It takes courage and honesty to even post something like this, and I really take my hat off to you.

Tell them you are thankful they paid for it with their tax dollars.

Last edited:

Al Harvey

Just tell them "Look it is a disease. There is no cure and it's been full accepted by other people on SS. You shouldn't talk bad about people and their disabilities when it comes to collecting MV"