• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to secure safety chains when using a tow bar on a CUCV?

jpg

I've read the tow bar TMs. They say "Always use safety chains". I've read the archives and lots of posts. I've studied pictures. I understand you want chains secured to the D rings on the tow vehicle, and crossing before they reach the towed vehicle. Some folks wrap the chains around the tow bar. Some suspend them beneath the tow bar.

What I don't understand is how the safety chain attaches to the towed vehicle. Some folks say they use one long chain and run it over the bumper and under the frame. Some say they route it through the leaf springs. Do you shackle it to something, or just let the chain run loose through the towed CUCV? Do you want one long chain or 2 shorter ones?

I'm sure there is a good way to do this. I just can't find it documented. The pictures never show the towed vehicle attachment points.

Thanks,
-jpg

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This

Too much slack and you drag chain. Not enough slack and you jerk the chain in turns. One long chain, or two seperate chains doesn't seem like a big difference, except with one long chain if it breaks you've lost it all. I use one long chain + the 2 OEM chains when towing M1101 trailers. I use 2 separate chains when towbarring vehicles, mostly just due to the length of my towbars. I wrap the chains around the frame.

Attachments

Last edited:

cucvrus

May I give a fair warning on towing with the tow bar when the vehicle being towed has no front bumper like the one pictured. It can bend the front frame section. I towed several without the bumper but I carried a center piece of bumper that bolts from rail to rail and keeps the frame in alignment while towing. I towed a truck to a local body shop and bent the frame while I was towing it and had to get the shop to do frame work on it also. I was going to use the paint booth and the bumpers were off. Somewhere in my trip both frame rails ended up being bent out to one side. And I think it was done when I turned the truck in the parking lot at the body shop. I just thought I would mention that. These trucks do not have strong frames when major structural parts are removed and stress is put on them. They really don't have strong frames at all up front when it comes to impact and pulling. Trust me I have seen the damage.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yup, I had towed an m725 without the bumper. The only thing that would explain my frame horns bending like they did was that the force of slowing down spread them out! I can see how turning in a parking lot would stress them too.

jpg

These trucks do not have strong frames when major structural parts are removed and stress is put on them. They really don't have strong frames at all up front when it comes to impact and pulling. Trust me I have seen the damage.
I was told that had to do with the energy-absorbing "crumple zone". The frame in the front is designed to absorb energy in a collision, keeping that energy out of the passenger compartment.

I hadn't considered towing without a bumper, and what that might do to the frame. Thanks for the warning.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks