• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to secure winch 5 ton multifuel from not functioning

alfa59

Hi,

Greetings from Belgium. Took my M54A2 out for a testdrive and something happened - probably I did something wrong, but winch started to roll up during drive.Luckily shearpin broke, but fender has "slightly " gone up. Oil coming out of lower pipe between two halfs of winch (pipe slicghtly bended upwards). Live can be miserable sometimes !!!!!

Leaves me with one question - how can one secure that this will not happen without taking away the pto shaft and/or shear pin.

Did I do something wrong? With the winch drum lock knob facing upwards (is this "locked" ?) or should it face to the righ hand side ?
If it is "locked" would ir prevent the drum starting to turn even if I would put the handle in the cabin downwards ?
Thanks for helping me out guys ! Chris

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds more like you had the pto in gear and the engagement lever on the winch ingaged. Bad OP Bad OP. Drum lock is just to keep it from free wheeling when not in use and you might have messed that up to. Drum lock in deep lock is in lock in pulled out or little lock should be free. Need to climb under truck and make shure pto shaft is not turning and or adjust it till all pisitions are correct.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
First__, ALWAYS before you start your truck, make sure the winch control haidle is in NUTURAL in case it got bumped while working in the cab, there should be a lock gate on the floor that locks the pto/winch control lever in NUTURAL
Second--- make sure the drum lock is IN

91W350

I have a friend that winched the cable into the edge of the drum, it broke several internal parts that he made on his own shop equipment. I am sure there are parts sources, but he insisted on self repair. Could get expensive quickly. I know I am not very good about checking mine, if some kids got to playing with the controls, it could create a lot of havoc for me to fix. I wish you the best of luck. The lice thing is the parts are relatively simple, tearing into it will show you quickly what is broken. I hope the pin saved you, but it does not sound probable with oil running out. Glen

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First__, ALWAYS before you start your truck, make sure the winch control haidle is in NUTURAL in case it got bumped while working in the cab, there should be a lock gate on the floor that locks the pto/winch control lever in NUTURAL
Second--- make sure the drum lock is IN
No should be but must be I think:razz:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I always leave my winch engagement lever on the winch in the out position and the drum lock in. This way, if the PTO gets shifted into gear for any reason the winch still won't work. All drum locks I've been around don't hold good enough to stall the winch under power. If you leave the engagement lever out the winch won't turn under power though.

fasttruck

The key nto success is to make sure the pto is disengaged before starting engine. I have seen situations where win ch clutch was disengaged and pto in and driver drove off with the pto shafgt spinning until it broke and took out hte side of the oil pan so you got the replace the shaft and the oil pan. Good method to make sure motor pool changed oil.

alfa59

Hi Guys,
thanks for the answers/ Just to be sure (about my confusion with the language),when you say the engagement lever on the winch should be in the out position , does the level point away from the winch ? and the drum lock in (does this mean the lever is pointing upwards or is it pointing towards the cabin ?)
Chris

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks