• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

how to set up a deuce with brake controller and lights for civy trailer?

Mike944

Anyone have a good way to set up a deuce with a 24V electrical system to be able to plug & play with a regular civilian trailer, which has 12V lights, and needs 12V to power a brake controller?

the only way i can come up with needs 5 of these 24-12V converters. one to power the brake controller, one for each of the lighting circuits (tail, left stop, right stop), and one for the 12v aux power to the trailer. The brake controller also has an input / output to brake lights, using the lights as a signal to activate the controller, and also powering the brake lights when you use the test lever while you adjust brake force.

http://www.current-logic.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=36

Has anyone done this, and have any ideas? (and no, i don't want to convert the deuce to 12v system)

ixpacman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Mike Harry here.
I used a redarc 24-12v brake controller and Multi voltage LEDs in trailer so I could tow my econoline 6 ton trailer with my 1028,1008, or 1971 M35a2. works pretty good with no big modification hassle. I put the nato trailer plug on the trailer.

Mike944

Yikes, and I thought the 24v brake controller that ixpacman mentioned was pricey......

i guess I'll stick with my original plan.

BTW, my current trailer has LED lights that should work on either 12 or 24v, but I want to set this up for compatibility with all trailers, therefore 12v

mike

ixpacman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well the Redarc controller is pricey but my first attempt involved installing a voltage converter and relay to only turn on when trailer was connected. The wiring circuit breakers and hardware and time required to install was extremely expensive and technical and wasn't totally reliable so when I saw the redarc 24-12v controller I bought one and I should have just done that to begin with. I used the blackout brake light circuit to feed the trailer brakes and tied into the light switch and brake switch for other circuits and put a disable switch just in case . Make sure to disconnect the blackout brake lights at the rear lights so there arent any backfeeds to groound. Very reliable and awesomely simple.

sue

We used leds and then pulled 12 volts off of one battery
for the brake controller and led trailer brake lights. When our
factory brake light switch failed we did no it until we
disconnected from the trailer last year. So the controller
was actuating the trailer lights, but we had no truck lights
untill we fixed the switch.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks