• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to tell if a Solargizer is working

M923driver

I've had my M1009 about 2 weeks now and I'm still sorting it out. Did the Doghead starter mod and replaced the glow plugs, which I think came original from the General. The GP relay was really dirty and worked intermittently so out it comes for the Napa ST85. As I'm hooking it back up, I get a little spark from the Pos. cable. Looking at my un-hooked batteries, I began to scratch my head. I know CUCV's are know for electrical issues, but this is wierd! After finishing the job and connecting the batts, it dawns on me that the solargizer still puts out current on a nice sunny day like this.:idea: Not enough to cause bodily harm, but it could sure screw up circuit tracing and make a problem appear to be something else. Just something to keep in mind.

Keith_J

That spark you saw was from the capacitors installed between the positive and negative to suppress radio frequencies. When you disconnected the batteries, the capacitors discharged. When connected, the spark was due to charging. Completely normal.

Now, a Soligizer electronic box has a small LED, if it lights up, it is working. You need to shade it to see.

tequilaiam

Plus, depending on the type of solar panel charger you have, the open-circuit voltage could be much higher than 12-14V on a sunny day. I have one in my car, oringally used by VW to keep the alarms from running down the battery on the boat ride from europe, that measures something like 30V at the plug.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Measure the power output in direct sunlight, set the meter for ac. you should be around 54-58v. The little light is hard to see so I use a multi meter.

Thats how I do mine.

MarcusOReallyus

That spark you saw was from the capacitors installed between the positive and negative to suppress radio frequencies.

Good so far, but ....

When you disconnected the batteries, the capacitors discharged. When connected, the spark was due to charging. Completely normal.

No, that's backwards.

When the batteries were connected, the capacitors were charged up and stayed that way.

When he disconnected the batteries, he prevented the capacitors from discharging - they held on to their charge. Disconnecting the batts was like opening a switch.

When he connected the new part, he completed the circuit (closed the switch) and the capacitors DIScharged.

Think of capacitors as little balloons that can be "filled" with electricity. When you connect one to a battery it "fills" (charges). When you disconnect a capacitor, it's like closing the balloon. It holds the charge. If a connection is made across the cap's terminals, it's like opening the balloon - it empties, or discharges.

In electronics class, it was always fun to charge up a nice big cap and toss it to a classmate. Hot potato for real! :mrgreen:

Keith_J

I was assuming the capacitors discharged over time, if the positive lead is grounded, this happens instantly.

Unless he charged the capacitors to far over the combined battery voltage, reconnection will not cause any current.

M923driver

I don't think it was caps releasing their charge. Being a curious type, I had to touch it again just to be sure...:shock: Yep, it still had some zoot to it. I didn't try it again after that. Just kind of made me think about it, what if I was troubleshooting that circuit? It would have had different results for sure.

OL AG '89

"In electronics class, it was always fun to charge up a nice big cap and toss it to a classmate. Hot potato for real"

GOOD TIMES, GOOD TIMES...... and great for a little chuckle .......:beer:

I would be shocked (pun intended) if a solargizer had enough current output to create a spark. Now, a capacitor on the other hand is capable of of holding a large lever of charge over long periods of time. Unlike a battery, a capacitor can also discharge all at once if shorted. You have to be very careful with capacitors because even though the batteries (or power source for AC) may be disconnected, the system could still have electric potential if the capacitor(s) is still charged.

Last edited: