• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

how to tell sprag or air?

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
The only complaint I ever had was when I had to drive one of the turbo "screamers." We did not have ear protection because HQ felt that using it would be detrimental to safety while driving.

Ditto, I heard the same thing. Now I don't hear.

area52

after pirate4x4, this is the most newb-unfriendly forum that i've ever seen. there's some real good folks on here, but there's a lot of "my way or you're wrong" types on here that makes it quite embarrassing to be a part of when a new member is bashed for not using the antiquated search funtion that doesn't work all that well or wading through 300 TMs (arranged in no particular order to a new member) to find the 'right 20' that apply to your new vehicle and haven't yet memorized every word.

i love the "i won't answer your question until you fix [what i percieve is] a safety issue" responses. :roll:

but, it seems as though the OP has some thick skin and can recognize judgemental old codgers when he sees them and takes them for what they are. thankfully, others were kind enough to help him out and i hope he'll stick around - we need more level-headed guys around here.

i'm real interested to see what he finds about his front-drive issue. it seems odd that either the front axle or transfer would just 'go out', so hopefully it's just something silly. but sharing this issue and solution should bring more knowledge to the community - at least, that's what i intend to take away.
Not sure what drugs you are on, but this site is NO WHERE NEAR what pirate is like. I have been a member on both for long time and there is no comparison.

maybe its just the way you come across in some of your responses.

exbrown

I use to be a tractor dealer in a region that no longer had many full time farmers. Most of my clients were farmer want to be’s and knew little to nothing about tractors. I had a very knowledgeable partner that always got irritated when someone came in with a stupid question. If you have never been around equipment or big trucks, it is hard to ask intelligent sounding questions. If you don’t know the lingo or understand the operation, all you can do is ask. Hopefully someone will answer your question and tell you what you need to know. Often, the question that needs answering is not what was asked.

Don’t get aggravated at the newbie’s asking questions, they are trying to learn. It is usually the ones that are afraid to ask, or too egotistical to ask that cause the problems. With a dealership or a forum, you always want to attract new clients/members. Answering questions is to be expected. Again with a newbie, sometimes they do not know enough to use the search function effectively. Some are also not very computer literate, and others are and just have not explored the site to the extent that they realize there is a search function or know about the TMs.

I understand your frustration. I started a group for owners of Yanmar tractors years ago to try and help people that could not get the answers to their questions. I enjoyed it for a while, but now I let the dealers and other members handle the information because I have grown tired of the same questions over and over.

BEASTMASTER

no question is stupid, if you learn from the answer. i know where spedmon is coming from. i had a juicy article all printed, but i said NAH , thats to mean. i've been in all kinds of construction equip. since 1965, and the first thing i do is look for the operators manual. if you don't understand the vehicle you SHOULD'NT drive it. i feel better. my 2 cents

mudguppy

Not sure what drugs you are on, but this site is NO WHERE NEAR what pirate is like. ... maybe its just the way you come across in some of your responses.
1. i clearly said "after pirate4x4"
2. i was clear in talking about responses to new members, not to me

thanks for your input. are you on drugs?

does the OP have his transfer sorted out yet?

NRG

picked up my deuce today and did not expect the steering to be as difficult as it was. it got me thinking is the front axle engaged? i checked the tm but could not track any firm answer down so i figured i would ask the experts. how does the font axle engage? is it a sprag? how do i tell? i have one lever...when switched to the right you can hear the air "pop off" ...no sound when switched to the right and no indicator..is this the air switch or have something to do with the fording kit? also sadly enough the headlights look brand new but wont work...any ideas?

thanks in advance for any help!

Hiya DeuceNewbie,

I just bought my first M35A2 in October 2009. While I am a certified Honda tech, these trucks are kinda weird even for me. There is alot to learn about these trucks. I had kind of the same problem you did with my truck. I had been reading a little about these trucks before I bought mine to have an idea what I was getting into. I had heard they are hard to turn. I'm a big guy and have had vehicles with no power steering before and it wasn't that big of a deal.

Well, I went down to pick up my truck and dang... that baby was hard to turn. I gave the truck a good once over and checked the fluids and braking before I took it home, I even had the original owner take a ride with me and explain somethings about the truck and normal operation procedures. The truck looked good and I drove off. But I noticed something weird... even if I was barely moving forward the return to center on the steering wheel was crazy aggressive. Does your steering wheel want to forcefully return to center when you have the wheels turned? If so, check your tire pressure. My tires looked full but I was only running with 15 - 20 psi in the front tires. I have 75psi in them now and it is night and day on the steering. I can turn the wheel with one hand now compared to before when i had to muscle it with two hands.

If I were you I would get an accurate pressure gauge and check those tires even if they don't look low on air. It may fix your problem, it fixed mine.

conductorx

My best advice I could give would be to read the darned TM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want to read the darned TM and can't find it. I have searched through all the documents kindly provided by this website and it doesn't seem to be there. I searched for Operator, M35, M35A2, M35A3, 6X6, 2 1/2 Ton etc. I only found these manuals that come kind of close. The truck I want to buy is a '71 model so I am sure these manuals won't apply.

TM 9-2320-209-10-4 Operator Maintenance Manual for 2 ½ Ton, 6X6,M44A1 and M44A2 Series Trucks Multifuel

TM 9-2320-209-10_65-pt1 Operators Manual for 2-1/2 Ton 6x6 Trucks - Gasoline - Chapter 1-2 - FEBRUARY 1965

TM 9-2320-209-10_65-pt2 Operator's Manual for 2-1/2 Ton Truck, 6x6 - Gasoline - Chapter 3-Appendix - FEBRUARY 1965

Thanks and sorry to short circuit the thread.
Gary

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gary,
First, get LO 9-2320-209-12-1, and LDS 465 Troubleshooting Manual from page 2
Then go to page 7 and get TM 9-2320-209-10-1, -1-HR, -2, -3, in fact, all of the TM 9-2320-209 series (all 23 on that page), then go to page 9 and get all of the TM 9-2320-361 manuals (and the two that are on page 10). That will give you most of the ones you need to reference. I keep them all on thumb drives, one for each of my five deuces. HTH.
Mike

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gary,

At the very top of the "Deuce" forum where you posted this message is the "Deuce FAQ" thread...it's a sticky so it's always on top of the list. This is what is known as the deuce WIKI article. About 3/4 of the way down that article is a list and direct links to all of the 209 series TM's. Here is a link to the WIKI...Deuce FAQ.

The ones I find myself using the most though are the 361 series manuals...they are located in the resources section at the bottom of page 9 and the top of page 10...here is a link to page 9 of the resources section.

I hope this helps some in your quest to find them. There is a ton of information to look through to find the correct information, but a search would have eventually revealed the proper manuals and their locations as it's been asked hundreds of times before...but the search feature is not the most user friendly thing on this site. You would have had numerous pages of threads to filter through to find what you were looking for, although a lot of people take the time to do it.

conductorx

Thanks SCSG-G4 and Speddmon. Other threads I found directed people to go to the old site and all the manuals are listed there. I did find the wiring diagram for my M105 trailers on the site.

After looking at the list again, all the descriptions say the manuals are for M44 trucks.

I now return you too your regularly scheduled thread reading enjoyment.

Thanks again,
Gary

Last edited:

jollyroger

I am new to deuce and a halfs but not to MV. I am also new to this site. Before and when I first got my deuce I tryed to search for filter info and brake system info etc. I did not find much. I am sure it was the way I was searching for the info that tripped me up. I figured it was in here somewhere but it was frustrating. I think I asked some questions on the forum after that and got some similar lectures about the search button and TM's and such. One of the things my Dad taught me was the manuals are like gold. He has several of the original period manuals for the M-37's. I have scoured those annals looking for whatever I needed to know. Now the manuals are available on CD.

I am not slamming anyone on the site or the site itself. We have a website for our 4X4 club and I went through the development of all three iterations of the site with some experts in the club that really know what they are doing. Creating a site with a forum and all the info and extras like this one is very difficult. What seems intuitive to use for me is not always that way for others. Then you may not have the software to set up the site like you want. Then one software won't talk with another software so one part of the site won't link with another part. Then your experts gotta make some patch code and or rewrite the software to make all the puzzle pieces fit. SS is an awesome website and I have found it to be hugely helpful, fun and exciting to be a member of.

saddamsnightmare

December 29th, 2009.

Gentlemen and Ladies:

Hopefully my original answer was not taken to be demeaning, I was trying to explain a few of the things to watch out for. The deuce can be ill tempered on rough terrain or potholed roads as regards the standard steering set up. The front end on his truck probably has an air shift due to the presence of the lever indicated and the air let off. It may be that your front end gear needs a good greasing on the king pins and tie rods to ease your problem some.
I would hope our new guys won't drive their deuces on pavement (dry) with the front axle cut in.... it's very hard on the drive train. And most deuces do steer hard on pavement, after all, you're dragging the no. 3 axle sideways on sharp turns without an inter axle differential.
I would suggest copying the pertinent -10,-20, and -30 manuals from here on a disc, they are very useful tomes to have, although being an "old Coot", I favor the printed versions.
Beyond Sgt Major ****erson on Good Morning Vietnam, few of us were born via immaculate conception, springing like Pallas Athena from Zeus's brain fully formed and all knowing, so let's chill out and just kindly help the new guys and gals, otherwise you are setting our hobby and our machines on a dead end course for the scrap yard.
And yes, I do make mistakes in recall when I don't haul the manuals out for an answer,
but generally, I try to offer some small encouragement, and there are many others on here (Will Wagner, Carnac, David Doyle(Kudos on your wedding Mr. Doyle)), Kenny and company that are the finest ambassadors and sources you will ever find. Perhaps the rest of us need to step back and reflect some.

Beyond that, permit me to wish you all a safe, Happy and prosperous New Years 2010.

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan:-D

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seems like just another day on the web around here.

:-(

I put my first Deuce in the barn last week on the new floor and even with a "smooth as a babies butt" finish it was almost impossible to turn while stopped. That was a definite problem since it is the truck that has no brakes right now.

I have only had one truck out on the road since I brought both home and they both have air on the front axles and I have not noticed any difference when I engage or dis-engage them. I hear the air going off and on but that's it. Maybe I'll try it again and see if I can try on and off pavement.

As for teaching people and answering stupid questions I used to teach entry level dancing. Imagine teaching 120 people at a time and 90% of them asking the same questions over and over. You learn patience or you quit.

sw

NRG

Seems like just another day on the web around here.

:-(

I put my first Deuce in the barn last week on the new floor and even with a "smooth as a babies butt" finish it was almost impossible to turn while stopped. That was a definite problem since it is the truck that has no brakes right now.

I have only had one truck out on the road since I brought both home and they both have air on the front axles and I have not noticed any difference when I engage or dis-engage them. I hear the air going off and on but that's it. Maybe I'll try it again and see if I can try on and off pavement.

As for teaching people and answering stupid questions I used to teach entry level dancing. Imagine teaching 120 people at a time and 90% of them asking the same questions over and over. You learn patience or you quit.

sw

Hmm I can tell on mine when I have my front axle engaged on mine after I had the tires inflated to 75-80psi. Pretty noticable.

BEASTMASTER

i know where speddmon is coming from.alot of these guys think they are climbing into a 4 wheeler or a jeep or something. they have no idea how hard these things are to drive or to stop. but in essence it's the same way with a normal person getting into a big u-haul truck. they don't know what to expect and hope their adventure is incident free.

jatonka

Bugeyebear, you really hit it on the head, we really have to quit being so unfriendly to the new people who find this site. I can still remember the day I picked up my first M35, an M35A1 to be exact, I was so excited, and so uninformed (Stupid), if I had had the opportunity to visit a site like this, internet didn't exist at the time, and anyone was rude to me on me first question, I surely would never have asked a second one. It is OK to be nice to everyone all the time, none of us have to live with eachother, so why treat us like your wife? JT out

Last edited:

vnm02

I too am new to this site. I don't even own a MV yet but I am really looking forward to my first M35. I am a licensed aircraft mechanic and work as a maintenance supervisor over 18 people in a 1.3 million sq ft distribution facility with 23 miles of PLC controlled conveyor system and have been in "the business" for over 25 years. With that being said, I still turn to sites like these for information and knowledge from people with experience, after all, isn't that what this site is for? Sharing the passion and love for these vehicles and the hope to preserve them. If we bite peoples heads off when they are trying to gain knowledge and a quick answer to a question I think it defeats part of the purpose of this site. If you don't want to answer, don't answer and ignor the question, someone else will probably step up and kindly do it for you. If we are unfriendly and run off the newbees how do we expect to preserve the hobbie for everyone to enjoy in the future? Just my 2 cents.....(as a newbee)