• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to tellif you have a C turbo

houdel

The "C" turbo has a "snail" shaped exhaust side, with a "strap" band holding the two halves together. The "D" turbo has a near uniform width on the exhaust side. As mentioned above, with the engine running there is not doubt whether you have a "C" or "D" turbo. With my engine running at idle , standing about 10' from the exhaust on the passenger's side, I do NOT hear any exhaust sound at all, just the turbo whistle!

If the exhaust side of your turbo is nearly the same width around the diameter of the turbo, it is a "D" turbo. If the exhaust side is tapered like the following pic, you have a "C" turbo.

BTW, my engine plate says LDT456-1D. The "C" or "D" on the engine plate seems to refer to the engineering level of the engine itself, not to to turbo.

Attachments

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes the turbos are 100% interchangeable... As for cost, I've seen used good working ones for $100 on up to brand new never used for $500+ It pays to shop arround. Westfolk is a source of parts, he may be able to help you out. You also may be able to swap out with someone looking for what you have. Seems most guys want the C for the sound.

houdel

FreightTrain said:
hmmm,That turbo looks Familiar,Lee...
I guess it should look familiar to you! How is the installation going?

Love your avatar by the way! Is that a .40 S&W the chimpanzee is firing?

FreightTrain

Banned
it is sitting on the passenger seat with the install kit right now.Ordered the Clean air kit from Saturn today.Figured to heck with it.Go ahead and order it before they sell out too(if they ain't already) instead of waiting for that One good deal.Got the manifold bolts soaking right now though.I might remove the entire exhaust system tomorrow and bolt what I can up since I have finished the Axle other than the banjo bolt V2.0(V1.0 got distroyed by the USPS....but it fought back and broke Several high dolar parts in their sorting machine per the nasty-gram!) and bleeding the brakes........Oh,Sorry for stealing the thread...

The C turbo both housings are about the same size,a D turbo the Exhaust(Cast iron side/Rusty side) will be wider than the aluminum intake side.....now if you have one of the Early turbos used on the 427 it will have a VERY fat exhaust side.Looks nothing like the 465 turbo.Sucker is FAT!!!!!

houdel

Yup, thats a C. You have the tapered "snail" exhaust side and the flat metal strap joining the intake and exhaust sides. Definitely a "C" Turbo. What is that blue plastic wrap around the turbo oil drain, and where is your intake "U" pipe? Is this a conversion in process?

FreightTrain

Banned
Cause the Exhaust side is bare iron.Not many coatings would stick long due to the EGTs so they left them bare on most vehicles.Even my Fords are very rusty but usually have good looking heat shield to hide it.Also,most Exhaust manifolds are bare castings also.

derby

Yes the heat is the cause for the rust. Exhaust temps in the range of 800-1100 deg. hot! kind of like a car that burns on the expressway they rust in a very short time. I am not a metalurgist(?) but it's the heat.

houdel

emmado22 said:
Why do the turbos rust on the output side? The extreme heat?
Yes, it is the temperature. Actually, 1100F is pretty conservative. With the fuel turned up and the truck running at max, 1200F-1250F is a fair max temp for the exhaust side of the turbo. I have some 1200F exhaust system paint I used on my "J" pipe which is holding up pretty well. If I ever get around to pulling my turbo again (I pulled it once to drill and tap the exhaust M/F for a pyrometer probe), I might try to wire brush it and put a coat of the high temp paint on it. BBQ paint might work also. I just wish you had brought this up when I had the turbo off the first time! Pulling a turbo is NOT the type of project you want to do just for S**ts and grins!

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
Most paint will not survive. I have found ,and as has been started here, Rustoleum BBQ Black is better than most. Eastwood has a 'Stainless steel coating' for exh. parts that is very good . It has survived on my GTO's exh. manifolds for 15 years.

The inside surfaces are protected by carbon deposits.

The exhaust manifold and turbo housing are hot enought to glow during an extended pull.By the time you open hood it is too cool.

Colors of cast iron-

Red - visible in the twilight 885*F
Red - visible in the daylight 975
Red - visible in the sunlight 1077
Dark red 1292
Dull cherry-red 1472
Cherry-red 1652

http://www.sizes.com/materls/colors_of_heated_metals.htm

JimK

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks