• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to tow a M816

SeRCyclops

Hello, I searched the forums and didn't find an answer. I purchased an M816 wrecker and I am having it towed home this evening. I need to know if there is anything I need to tell the tow truck driver if there is anything special he needs to do before towing it.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Is he lift towing it, towbarring it or flat bedding it?

Sephirothq

He should drop the rear drive shaft. I have known that to save alot of problems when you tow these trucks. Front also if you are going to flat tow.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Don't waste your time with the drive shaft(s). Pull the axles out of the housings and go. Nothing to worry about and no climbing under the truck.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This should be a redundant question - not least that the Tech Manuals posted on this forum at the top, explain suspended towing in the M816 Operations Manual under Normal Conditions, BUT if you are paying for a tow truck then HE should know or be able to ascertain any and all requirements for moving a large vehicle regardless of condition - imagine what a trained operator has to do at a crash site when the truck driver is on his way to the hospital or worse and the LEOs want the wreck moved pronto.

Then there is the liability of you telling a towtruck driver how to do his job. By all means explain the different knobs and levers if he ask you..... One side note; if he is younger, then he may not know about air over hyd brakes and that the military glad hand valves work backwards - 90deg to line is open. Then again, he ought to be able to figure even that out too.

I don't mean to dump on you but I think you will be ok with letting the towtruck driver figure it out - assuming he is a pro. Different matter if you were asking a buddy with another 816 who got it for fun - as may happen down the road when you have yours all up to speed. You'd be amazed how owning a wrecker gets noticed locally and people want favours.....

Looking forward to more wrecker pics and hearing how you make out - how much restoration do you intend to do - or is it a finished project?

... and again I say did not mean to be insulting or anything.....

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Undo the 8(?) 3/4 inch bolts holding the axle in the housing. They pull right out and if your worried about leaking(I wouldn't) you can cover the housing ends with cardboard.

Edit, look like there is 10 bolts, not 8. My 5ton isn't here to look at!

Last edited:

fasttruck

How are are you towing it ? For a short trip put the transfer case and transmission in neutral, hook up drawbar to front shackle points and go. If you
aree worried about stopping it furnish two 10' or so air lines with glad hands at each end and attach to towing vehicle's rear air lines and towed vehicle's front air connections which are behind the front bumper. Then it will follow brakes from towing vehicle like a trailer would. front
connections have valves that have toi be opened by turning valve handle across pipe as previously explained. Proceedure is detailed beginning
on page 2-90 of the applicable "10" manual for the vehicle. You have read this i hope.

SeRCyclops

How are are you towing it ? For a short trip put the transfer case and transmission in neutral, hook up drawbar to front shackle points and go. If you
aree worried about stopping it furnish two 10' or so air lines with glad hands at each end and attach to towing vehicle's rear air lines and towed vehicle's front air connections which are behind the front bumper. Then it will follow brakes from towing vehicle like a trailer would. front
connections have valves that have toi be opened by turning valve handle across pipe as previously explained. Proceedure is detailed beginning
on page 2-90 of the applicable "10" manual for the vehicle. You have read this i hope.
Tow is 75 miles

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If there is a problem in the axles, you could fry them by just pulling the drive shafts and letting the axles drive the differentials. If you pull the drive axles on the rear and caps on the front, nothing in the drive train will turn and you may save yourself an expensive lesson.

SeRCyclops

The truck is drivable. I am having it towed because when they were checking it out they noticed the brakes have failed. Not sure what the issue is, the guy said it was a hose that failed.

I found the TMs those are a huge help.

I really appreciate the help guy I really do.