• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to..... Transmission Changeout.

jasonjc

Great wite up. I have some insight too add to this.

I've done mine a few times. I use 2 2X4's one one each side of the center post thought the windshieds,and the rear of the cab. For added safty I tie the 2 together around the center post so they can not move. I use a pipe or crow bar across the 2x4's to hang the chain hoist from. This way you can move the chain hoist back and forth. I tried a eng hoist but the one I have does not reach thought the door far eought to do the job. So keep this in mine if you go to buy one.

If you are doing this for a clutch you can use a socket and extension and some tape. too make a clutch alinment tool.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
good write up! allow me to make this even easier for you. trans weighes 225 lbs. do not remove shifter, remove top cover. (you will almost surely have a usable gasket from one of the transmissions.) you will have much less trouble with the trans fitting in and around things like the frame crossmember. also you can fill it much easier when done, 5 qts is the capacity. a 2000 lb trans jack is available from harbor freight for $200, or rent one. this makes it a one man job.

tom

Jakob

Great wite up. I have some insight too add to this.

I've done mine a few times. I use 2 2X4's one one each side of the center post thought the windshieds,and the rear of the cab. For added safty I tie the 2 together around the center post so they can not move. I use a pipe or crow bar across the 2x4's to hang the chain hoist from. This way you can move the chain hoist back and forth. I tried a eng hoist but the one I have does not reach thought the door far eought to do the job. So keep this in mine if you go to buy one.

If you are doing this for a clutch you can use a socket and extension and some tape. too make a clutch alinment tool.
My engine hoist just reaches in far enough. I used a similar method for an alignment tool, I used a standard deep well socket and a deep well impact socket (with some "shim tape"). It worked perfect.

crasheej

I've done both 2 1/2 and 5 tons by my self. But I have one of the trans lifting tools that the military had for the task. It is like a winch on four legs, with a square shaft the winch has four roller bearings in it . Once you have the trans on lift you can roll it back and lower it to the floor, ground or what ever you have. It's a one man job. You still need to work safely. One false move can mess you up bad.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
THANKS Ken! Searched and found this again! WONDERFUL write up! Straight forward, simple, to the point. Get it done with what you have available, SAFELY. Hmmmmm, I remember something like that from when I was in the Army. Amazing, good advice and expertise don't change. Will be using this soon to change the throw-out bearing and clutch on the Raven Deuce.
God bless,
Tony:D

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great write-up, thanks!

Even better, it appears the title is sufficient for others to search and find this thread.

Thanks to all who contribute with great content and title the threads so that they are useful.

Rick

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks