• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to turbo a 6.2 using 6.5 parts

brazengoat06

with the help of another member sending me an old actuator, ive got the project wrapped up. thanks for all the help. Im currently running 6-7 psi with EGTs at 600 running 65mph.

Hillwalker

Im just starting to do my swap. After having trouble with the passenger side exhaust manifold, I realized a bad motor mount was the problem. I was starting to think it wasnt possible for some reason. BUT, I would suggest pulling the motor mount through bolt to anyone having clearance issues on the installation of the passenger side manifold. Gives a lot more space and makes it easier to place it carefully and get all the glow plug wires, return lines and everything nice and neat. This job has been a real challenge. Mainly in patience and planning on my part. Lot of little odds and ends to go. But its starting to look nice. 20170423_200109.jpg

Hillwalker

After a lot of reading and research, I bought a few parts to get started. After I started the initial install, I was not happy with the exhaust routing at all. I changed my plan. Im SO glad I did. I ended up buying a Banks exhaust manifold, crossover pipe, and coolant hose. My plan was to attach a Borg-Warner GM3 turbo on it and fabricate an exhaust outlet. Man, was I in for a challenge! That being said, I think it came out SWEEEEEEEEET! LOTS of difficult work but it was so worth it. Eventually, I'll write up something better. But, I wanted to share some pictures for inspiration. It can be done.

By the way, if you see that logo anywhere, it should be on something that is BAD a$$

20170701_123306.jpg20170610_112011.jpg20170704_201307.jpg20170701_174205.jpg

Last edited:

Mudman63

I bought a 87 6.2 motor 700r4 tranny and 208 transfer case with 90 % of the turbo stuff I need for 600.00 the intake and exhaust manifold is already installed. I am having trouble finding the gaskets for the turbo O'Reilly Auto parts claims felpro does not make a kit and can't help me I would appreciate any help you can give or would all that be in a rebuild kit. once I have everything installed and fitted I plan on tearing the motor down and going through it thanks in advance

kapnklug

Are you looking for the gaskets to install the turbo (only 2: exhaust manifold-to-turbo & turbo oil outlet), or are you rebuilding the turbo? I rebuilt my GM-3 and it was a big PITA, lots of little parts. If I had to do it over I would send it out for a rebuild. Either way, you can get rebuild kits or install kits on Flea-Bay.

kapnklug

Upper intake gasket usually comes with injection return line replacement kits, which you need anyway. You want to replace all the injection return lines & replace the glow plugs on the passenger side before you mount the turbo, because they will be totally inaccessible after. Use some heat sleeve or small loom over the return lines & glow plug wires, to protect them from the heat of the turbo. You really don't want to pull the whole turbo off, when one of those little hoses starts leaking. Factory setups usually have a quarter-round sheetmetal heat shield over the main injection lines, make sure you have it.
The turbo manifold gasket is a square steel shim with a ridge around it, about $12 on Flea-Bay, search for T3 turbo gasket. Not re-useable, might as well get 2.
About 6 years on my setup, been through a few changes. The factory oil return sucks in several ways, get the one from Leroy Diesel. Also, an adjustable wastegate made a big difference for me, the one from Heath is around $150 but works better than my homemade one.

Kaiser67M715

I am looking for the upper intake and turbo to exhaust manifold gasket
You need a T3 turbo gasket, online is best bet. From the factory none of the turbos used a gasket, they relied on smooth flat mating surfaces, same with the exhaust manifolds, from the factory there was no gasket.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

Mudman63

Thanks for the info. Most of the work is already done intake is on exhaust manifold is on 8 new glow plugs and everything clears has new head gaskets and supposedly aftermarket high flowing heads not sure about that yet but if so bonus!!! Everything will be installed with the cab and front end off the truck once mocked up I intend to tear down the motor and go through it along with the tranny and then a whole new body put on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks