• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to turbo a 6.2 using 6.5 parts

True Knight

Ya I tried to use that serial number to buy a rebuild kit and the seller said they couldn't find a kit for it by that number.
Dang! Good looking truck there man! I'm jealous. Ha ha. I really need to repaint mine...

Anyway, mine says it right on the data plate. No coded messages or anything.

True Knight

I see what happened with yours- something cleaned the printed ink right off! Well mine was off a 94, so yours is probably a different one. (Although they look essentially the same)

Kaiser67M715

Can you remove the heatshield and take a pic of the waste gate lever?

'96 was an odd year, most seem to have the gm-8 but I have seen a few with gm-4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Kaiser67M715

waste gate is built into the turbine housing, so definitely NOT a GM-8. GM-6 was the center mount turbo used in vans, so my above post was incorrect, the GM-4 was used 94-96, gm-1 and gm-3 were used 92-94(years overlap for small design differences)

I'm willing to bet you have the GM-4 turbo, although I am pretty sure all the internals are actually the same, so no matter what rebuild kit you got, seals and bearings would remain the same, only turbine housings, compressor housing and wheels changed in the lineup.

you would have had to replace the actuator anyways unless you kept all the electronic stuff.

brazengoat06

as I'm getting closer to starting this project I have a question concerning how to configure a turbo master. I didnt see a good in depth description on this and all the links in this thread dont seem to work (regarding turbo masters). Since i am already missing the waste gate actuator on my turbo, will i need to get another one or does it get removed anyways... thanks

Ilikemtb999

I used the the one that came on my turbo. I split the can, threaded the rod and then used a washer and lock nut to tension the spring for more boost.

Its my understanding that not all of them have springs in them and I'm unsure what years have them and which don't.

Kaiser67M715

Turbo masters use spring pressure, so as exhaust back pressure gets higher(a result of higher boost) it overcomes the spring pressure and releases exhaust from around the turbine.

So you essentially need a mount for the spring to create pressure against a threaded rod (with a nut and washer on end) that would be attached to the wastegate lever

I have seen some use a spring attached to the wastegate connected to an eyelet mounted to a bracket. Same basic principle.

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

brazengoat06

Having trouble getting the passenger side manifold bolted up. It's difficult holding all the bolts in place while holding g the 25lb manifold while trying to start the bolts lol. Any tips thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks