• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to turbo a 6.2 using 6.5 parts

Can anyone tell me what length and size oil lines they used for this swap. I have been working on my 09 for the past few months and got my hands on a 6.5 turbo setup. Thanks for the help.
Great question. I was just planning on asking the same thing. This information would be very helpful for us turbo nubes.

kapnklug

For the oil supply line I used the stock one from the '93 donor 6.5TD (looks like AN-4 maybe? about 1/8" ID) which threads into the port normally used for the oil pressure sensor at the driver's rear of the block (I remounted the sensor at the other end near the turbo). It wasn't long enough but got me close enough to reach with brass pipefittings.
The drain line is 17" AN-10 with a right-angle fitting under the turbo, outlet facing forward. The line then loops away from the exhaust manifold and into a homemade fuelpump blockoff plate with another 45deg fitting facing forward. There's a rubberized clamp in the middle the holds it onto the pass. lower alternator bolt to prevent vibration on the fittings.
If you put "turbo oil line" into the Fleabay searchbar you'll get a billion kits for making them.

Dawookie

Ok i got the turbo installed this weekend and just have a few things left to complete this week. Has anyone put some kind of heat shield between the injector line and the manifold? Its really tight even with 3 gaskets.

kapnklug

Ya it sure is. I wrapped the manifold with header wrap and still had hot-start issues until I put spark-plug wire insulating sleeve around #4 & #6 injector lines. See my thread "M1009 lift/turbo buildup." The '93 6.5TD turbo-donor engine had a 8" wide metal heat shield that attached to the valve cover, but it would not fit with the longer 6.2 injectors. I also put 1" dia aluminum wire-loom over the wiring harness where it runs along the turbo-side of the motor.

Thanks for the tip on eBay search phrase. Ton of stuff there to make the feed and drain lines. Picking up my turbo stuff this week.

How long of lines should we be looking for? I'm looking at a line kit that has a 17" return line and a 36" feed line.

Attachments

Last edited:

Dawookie

36'' is what i used and had a lot of slack. Good thread kapnklug I read through it last night. Now my question is if you could only do either the lines or the manifold which would be better. I dont have enough room to do both.

Another question: many of the eBay oil line kits use a restricter in the oil feed line. Is this necessary? I don't have the factory line so I don't know if it uses one.

Just picked up my turbo setup but need a couple odds and ends. Besides the oil lines I need the fuel pump block off/ drain plate. Other than that I should be good to go. Both exhaust manifolds, turbo, intake manifolds, down pipe, lift pump and factory air filter housing and tubing.

This is a very helpful thread as is Kapn's.

Anyone have an extra drain plate?

Last edited:

acesneights1

what electric fuel pump did you go with? any issues with it? also, anyone have a part number for the block off plate?
You dont need a block off plate. Use the oil return plate for the turbo off a 6.5. A 93 factoty liftpump ismthe bsst pump. It is designed to work with a DB2. You will need metric oring to jic or barb adapters. Easliy available.

You dont need a block off plate. Use the oil return plate for the turbo off a 6.5. A 93 factoty liftpump ismthe bsst pump. It is designed to work with a DB2. You will need metric oring to jic or barb adapters. Easliy available.
Agreed. Doing things this way makes it like the factory did it. Why re-engineer everything when its already done for you and it fits?

That would work fine if you don't have the factory stuff. It's only money right? Some folks prefer going this route to move the return away from the exhaust manifold.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks