• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to turn up the air.

rustystud

I've never had a low pressure issue with my air-o-matic. After I saw this thread, I timed mine and it takes 3 minutes to reach 120 psi. I have been through my air system and it has no detectable leaks. Will hold pressure for at least a week although after that time it's down close to zero.

To the OP, do you have the regulator installed by the frame near the wheel? If so take it out- it is not needed on the M35. You will need a couple of plumbing parts to reconnect the hoses, but easy to find. Also make sure the air is turned up all the way at the valve mounted on the firewall. Try checking the air-o-matic system for leaks while someone else is turning the wheels. It should vent air while changing direction but shouldn't leak anywhere else.
Do NOT get rid of the air-regulator ! Your compressor will keep building air until something bad happens ! The regulator should be set to 120 PSI . The regulator sends a signal air to the unloader valves on top of the compressor to "unload" the pressure in the compressor. The compressor will then just be spinning along doing nothing until the signal is gone and then will start building up air pressure again. If someones system never builds up air pressure to 120 PSI then something else is wrong and needs to be repaired.

JimmyThompson

My air pressure gauge has a max value of 120psi on the gauge cluster.

Now we have a differing of opinions.

All parties please discuss openly for everyone to digest and attempt to gain knowledge.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do NOT get rid of the air-regulator ! Your compressor will keep building air until something bad happens ! The regulator should be set to 120 PSI . The regulator sends a signal air to the unloader valves on top of the compressor to "unload" the pressure in the compressor. The compressor will then just be spinning along doing nothing until the signal is gone and then will start building up air pressure again. If someones system never builds up air pressure to 120 PSI then something else is wrong and needs to be repaired.
He's not talking about the air compressor governor, he's talking about the regulator that is part of the air steering kit.

peashooter

the air-o-matics do use a bunch of air. If you remove the frame mounted regulator it will use more air also but you will get a little more assist. Anyway, I've been eliminating leaks on my truck for a couple years now. I have a new single piston compressor (which feels slower to build pressure to me than the dual piston one previously on there).
I noticed that when backing up with my trailer (which you have also right?) that it uses a ton of air and my buzzer is constantly going off.... I think that's just because I suck at backing up with a 105 trailer so I use a lot of air on the steering and then am using extra air for the brakes of the trailer as well. Perhaps this explains it for you too?
If you don't drain your air tanks after driving it, how long will it take for it to leak down from full pressure?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been running my air-assist without a regulator without any ill effects. I'd say it will use a lot more air without it though. I've never had the buzzer go off but I could see it running out of air if you did a bunch of steering.

They make safety valves that will close air off to the steering if psi gets below 60. The up side is you'll never run out of air for brakes but the down side is you loose the air-assist when the pressure got down to 60.

Woodsplinter

Woodsplinter... I do have the black regulator mounted on the frame. The only place I should get air from is at the replaced "pitman arm", correct? Out of curiosity, why don't I need the regulator???
Like others have said the frame-mounted regulator which comes with the air assist kit is not needed as the kit can handle the 120 psi put out by the deuce air compressor. There is a safety switch mounted on the firewall which shuts off air to the steering if the tank pressure falls below 60 psi. This conserves air for the brake system.

You do not have to remove the regulator but you will get a little more air without it- just make sure it's opened all the way for maximum air pressure.

And yes, air should only be escaping from the vents on the new pitman arm.

dmetalmiki

On my M45 fire unit loaded (6000 gallons of water) it steers fine and parks (by shunting back and forth) in an awkward poition in the garage without problems. All the air valves are present and correct.

JimmyThompson

So how to I turn up the air on the air governor? I see the black knurled plastic "cap"... Is that what I twist? How do I then determine what PSI it's been turned up to?

runk

The only time I run out of air with my air assist is when parking the truck in its spot in the back yard, there is a bunch of lock to lock back and forth to get it tucked into place, all with the truck basically at idle. A couple of times I've used low range and run it mostly at higher RPM and the compressor does a lot better job of keeping up. When I first got the truck, cleaning the air intake filter on the side of the compressor made a big difference
in air volume and dramatically reduced the amount of oily snot in the air tanks.

Pressure adjustment from the TM-

View attachment Air gov adjust_Pages from TM9-2320-361-24-1_2006 Maint.pdf

JimmyThompson

So the air compressor pushes 120psi which is the max value of my gauge. By adjusting the air governor per the TM I'll get more air through the system. So basically I need to max out my air gauge. Correct?

welldigger

Only if you want to remove the air assist regulater. It will use more air without it. However, you may get more assist with the regulator gone.

JimmyThompson

The truck turned fine in my opinion. The buzzer was very alarming, no pun intended. The thought of NOT having brakes really puckers the rear!

Last edited by a moderator:

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The truck turned fine in my opinion. The buzzer was very alarming, no pun intended. The thought of NOT having brakes really puckers the rear!

A deuce will always have brakes regardless of the amount of air in the tanks and won't go into a "no brakes" situation based on what the air compressor and air system are doing.