• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to unload an M35A2

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, the memories! Unloading an old dump truck in a similar fashion. "Put it in neutral" the guy said. Only, it wasn't. Engine coughed to life as the loader nudged the truck down the ramp. Then it took off. No way for us to run and catch it. Massacred a fence, a perimeter wall and got stuck in the ditch behind it. Good times.
If I remember it needed a tie rod and a rattle can body job, that was it.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

V8srfun

G'day everyone,....

OMG! that was painful to watch.

Why did'nt they just use the chain on the tree then on bumper and drive the trailer out from under the Deuce?

That poor deuce,.....

Aussie.
Because the ramps on the trailer would have been stuck in the dirt when the weight was on them and they would not have been able to pull it.

M35fan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
*No Deuces were harmed in the making of this video*
Ok, I have to ask a stupid question. I don't have any personal experience unloading inop 13K pound equipment. What would have been the correct procedure?

Guyfang

Staff member
There are a number of ways to do that. Everyone would have his own. I helped do the same thing this film showed, several times. Only we did not use a tree as a backstop. When you have a whole missile site to use, we simply pushed it forward and had a Stahlwert soldier in the drivers seat. And let it roll. And once we had no roll room, so we used a number of tow chains and a come-along type device hooked to the back of the truck and the front of the trailer. Then pushed the truck forward until it was just over the high point, and then let it down slowly. There are any number of guys in the forum who have a much better grasp of how this "should" be done.

pitpawten

This is funny but they got it done : )

When my deuce showed up it was towing a 105 and they had driven it on to a lowboy trailer front on so we had to back it off down ramps.

The only issue was that the ramps were maybe 18 in wide so I had to hit it perfectly coming back off the trailer.

Problem with this is that 1. I had never driven a deuce 2. I had never backed one up with a notoriously difficult 105 on the back 3. it was dark at about 10:00pm at a truck stop and 4. it was snowing : |

What we wound up doing was disconnecting the 105 from the deuce putting a snatch block on the pintle of the deuce and securing a line from the 105 through the snatch block and to the rear of the lowboy to a pickup truck.

We then manually pushed the 105 got it started on the ramps and slowly backed the pickup truck closer to the lowboy and released the 105 down to ramp. The landing gear on the 105 had nowhere to go because there were only two little skinny ramps and nothing for the landing gear to ride on. Fortunately I had some 2x8 in my pickup truck that we were able to use to get it down.

It was fun a good evening and we had a good time talking with the Russian truck driver who delivered it. He said "you guys are doing it the way things we do things in Russia"

pitpawten

This is funny but they got it done : )

When my deuce showed up it was towing a 105 and they had driven it on to a lowboy trailer front on so we had to back it off down ramps.

The only issue was that the ramps were maybe 18 in wide so I had to hit it perfectly coming back off the trailer.

Problem with this is that 1. I had never driven a deuce 2. I had never backed one up with a notoriously difficult 105 on the back 3. it was dark at about 10:00pm at a truck stop and 4. it was snowing : |

What we wound up doing was disconnecting the 105 from the deuce putting a snatch block on the pintle of the deuce and securing a line from the 105 through the snatch block and to the rear of the lowboy to a pickup truck.

We then manually pushed the 105 got it started on the ramps and slowly backed the pickup truck closer to the lowboy and released the 105 down to ramp. The landing gear on the 105 had nowhere to go because there were only two little skinny ramps and nothing for the landing gear to ride on. Fortunately I had some 2x8 in my pickup truck that we were able to use to get it down.

It was fun a good evening and we had a good time talking with the Russian truck driver who delivered it. He said "you guys are doing it the way things we do things in Russia"

Guyfang

Staff member

I gotta tell ya all, Russian's are good people. Yeah, the USA and Russia have had, and will have a long standing problem between them. But the Russians are, more like Americans, than Europeans ever will be. When I got out of the Army in 93, I went to work for a construction firm, as a "Step and Fetch it". In my group of Brother Step and Fetch it's, were three Russian's, a East German, a West German and I. Hands down, the Russians worked harder then everyone else. All the time. Never complained. Were always on time, (maybe not completely sober) and prepared to Rock. And improvise? First class. At first, things were a little tense. But once we all started to speak to one another in our broken German, we got along like gang busters.

Lastly, I am not saying Germans are not nice folks. They are. But they THINK different then we do. They react differently then we do. Russians think and react very much like Americans.

pitpawten

I gotta tell ya all, Russian's are good people. Yeah, the USA and Russia have had, and will have a long standing problem between them. But the Russians are, more like Americans, than Europeans ever will be.
I'm right there with you I've always felt we as Americans are pretty kindred with Russians and Aussies in some of those regards. Lots of wide open spaces lots of ingenuity and resourcefully thinking and pretty independent spirits.

I'm constantly impressed by things I see on YouTube under the category of "Russian engineering" I'm also constantly saying to myself "I would never do that Even if you paid me" but I've certainly learned a trick or two : )

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Because the ramps on the trailer would have been stuck in the dirt when the weight was on them and they would not have been able to pull it.
But once the truck got to rolling down hill, wouldn't it have cleared the ramps like it did in the video?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks