• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How'd my back window get fogged up

Anubis8472

Cost of NV4500 swap

So I took the m1009 on a trip recently, over a thousand miles through the hills of Penn up to the east coast and back.

Before leaving I gave her a good look-over. Pulled the inspection cover and checked all the converter/flexplate bolts, etc.

My only concern was the possability of an upper rad hose giving out. It's got a wear mark under it where the old alternator belt used to touch as it vibrated.

She ran wonderfully all the way there. Smooth as glass once we got off of what we call roads here in Michigan. One thing that has impressed me about this 6.2 is that the longer you're cruising along the freeway the better she runs. She was definitely made to cruise.

No problems at all with the steep grades. Light load at least, two persons, some luggage, and a box of tools/filters/spare this and thats. She managed a steady 22.75 MPG both ways, driving mostely around 65, occassionally 70-80.

Once we got to our destination (at about 5am) I figured I'd hit a car wash. As I pulled into the lot I looked back and said "how'd the back window get so fogy?"

Turns out I had ATF spatter on the back of the truck. After checking the underside I imediately recalled having to 'tweak' the cooler lines to remove that inspection cover. The lines didn't 'kink' at all, but....

After further inspection the leak seemed to be coming from the vent line up top on the trans. The pan was real hot. Hot enough to burn myself after momentary contact. Checked the lines at the cooler thinking I may have dislodged something and plugged it up. Getting good pressure at both ends of the cooler. Antifreeze is clean, no cross leak at the radiator.
The trans fluid looks like the day it came out of the bottle, clean, red, no burnt smell.
The leak wasn't major. Level checked at or just below the add mark when hot.
Drives/shifts/downshifts through all gears just fine even in the steep hills.

I took some high temp rubber line and ran it from the vent tube into a pan in the cab. Both so I could see it and pull over if it began spitting out, as well as to prevent giving tail-gaters an oil bath. Added a quart of lucas trans fluid treatment/conditioner. Then started the trip back home a few days later.

No issues at all on the trip home, no issues since.

Planning to pull it and do a rebuild ... but I've got an option to buy an NV4500 out of a 95 1-ton 4x4 w/bellhousing and t-case for 600 bucks.

I'd like to do the swap, then I'll rebuild the 400 and decorate a shelf in the garage (can never have to many spares).

I'll need to pick up a flywheel (should I go with a dual mass or the one peice?)
Looks like a clutch will run 2-3 hundred.

I guess I'm looking for a ballpark figure of what the swap is going to run me, on top of the 600 for the trans.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks