• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Howdy from Missouri

Ghost00TJ

Howdy from me –Larry aka Sergeant Ghost in my former life, now Larry, perminatly stationed just outside Ft. Leonard Wood. I’m retired Army as of 2008 and the wife is Andrea. I traveled around the world four times and met a German lady in Missouri, go figure. We are gearing up to bid on a liquidation site (GL) for a 5ton M923, eventually we will win one or something else. So I guess I am not a real Steel Soldier yet until I own the correct vehicle.
The wife and I are big Jeep fans and love to "camp" in our truck camper while out trail riding certainly not roughing it. With a camper and towing two jeeps we think it would be cool to have a 5ton tow rig with a camper built on the back, expand-o-van would be cool.
What brings us here is a suggestion from another Military Jeeper member so I registered here to increase my education level. I feel that Steel Soldiers members are as addicted to OD green as Jeep addicts are to Jeeps.
In the Service (Combat Engineer 12B) I drove many wheeled vehicles and some tracked so at one time I was familiar with a couple 900 series trucks and CEV, AVLB and a few smaller. My first ride was a M51A2 dump with troop seats (our squad vehicle) she wasn’t fast but we had fun with them just the same. The Army was having funding and drawdown issues so we had to wrench on our own stuff and used a lot of bailing wire and 100mph tape lol. Then we got a couple M929’s and M998’s around 1989 in Ft. Polk, LA- we thought they were like Cadillac’s.

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Welcome to the site it must be nice to be close to a GL location. There are a few nice trucks at lost in the woods getting ready to be sold, make sure you go look at them before bidding and if possible snag someone who knows about them to go with you.

MO MV man

Hey Larry!
Welcome from one Jeep nut to another.
I'm doing a '51 CJ3A right now.

I'm doing the same thing you are with the M923's. LOL!
Maybe we'll meet at Fort Leonard Wood to pick up our rigs......providing the bidding doesn't get ridiculous.
I don't need one that bad.

Ghost00TJ

Being close may make me try to spend more lol Thanks for the tips.
@MO MV man we are certainly jeepaholics I built a nice 80' CJ5 for Andrea with a AMC360/TF727/Dana300 4:1. locked and lifted and retrofitted with fuel injection. Andrea tested the seat belts and full cage last time out with a good flop on night run.
A 83' Cj7 with a 383 stroker/sm465 4spd it does wheelies if I want it to lol.
And the poor 00' Sahara with so much stuff it's silly- currently rebuilding the engine.

So yea bigger badder beasties tow/camping rig is in order for us.
Give me a hollar if you're up this way I'm about 1/2 mile off I-44.

MO MV man

Man, those are some awesome Jeep combos.
I've never had any Jeep with that much muscle. Most are low power crawlers or street rigs.

See my last OD project (avatar pic)? I highly recommend bobbers. Loads of great memories with that rig.

I'd love to bob an M923 but I'm afraid that'd be out of my realm of tooling. My buddy's F450-mounted crane just barely lifted what I need to on the Deuce bob, much less a monster 5 ton!

Ghost00TJ

On the Military Jeeper site a couple guys are trying to instigate a bobbed truck out of me. Your avatar is a great looking rig I'd love to drive that into work, the gate guards wouldn't know what to do lol. The Cj5 is on my avatar and the 2000 in action is my profile pic.
Speaking of lifts and such, all the tools I have are not going to cut the rust on a big job. I can pull jeep engines and weld/plasma etc all day but now the weight of components ~500lb to <2200lb engine is quite a jump. Time to make a Christmas list

humm,
torque multiplier
1" drive wrenches
10 ton jack/and stands
blah blah $$$

MO MV man

Wonder what it would cost to rent a small crane for a week? :)
The rear suspension on a 5 ton looks WORLDS easier to remove......no demented rivets like the deuce! All bolts, best I can tell.

Ghost00TJ

Probably like most rentals, grab it Friday turn in Monday for 8hr cost. Did that with a backhoe/loader when digging in water and electric for the garrages and pool. Of course I put like 18 hours on it lol.

BigWill1985

On the Military Jeeper site a couple guys are trying to instigate a bobbed truck out of me. Your avatar is a great looking rig I'd love to drive that into work, the gate guards wouldn't know what to do lol.
I've pushed the envelope a few times by driving my old dump truck (1978 Chevy C-50 dump truck) onto the Naval station in Norfolk, VA in uniform. The gate guards just stared at me. I had base stickers on it, and everything was legit. The gate guard asked me why I was driving a dump truck into work. I replied by telling him my tractor was in the shop. :D

I am already planning on driving in the M817 as soon as I get it inspected and registered. Now that's gonna be a fun drive!

~Will Courtier~

Stein12501

Ghost00TJ you are bringing back old memories. First vehicle was a '73 CJ5 with a 304 and 3 spd, rag top and the passenger seat was an option. Lots of fun. I live up around Jefferson City, MO and my dad has some property in Cuba, MO. Bought a Deuce a couple of years ago and a 923A1 this summer all from Jefferson City GL. Yeap if you can get one close you can save a lot of money on shipping. I drove both trucks home no problems. Wish you best of luck on your future purchase and if I can be of any assistance just say.

Ghost00TJ

Stein12501 another neighbor almost, I haven't been up that way in a while to Columbia for VA.
Shipping, if I win one this round hopefully the truck fires and drives I'll ride it 6 miles straight to the house and start tinkering. Thanks for the offer may have to pick your brain later.

BigWill1985

Oh, I forgot to add. My mom has lived down in the Ozarks on a few occasions (Eldridge, Lebanon, and now Phillipsburg). I've been down in Missouri quite a few times visiting her back when I was younger. I'm originally from SW Iowa, just South of Council Bluffs.

Welcome to the site!

~Will Courtier~

ARYankee

Welcome to the site!! AND THANK YOU for your many years of service. I purchased a nice M923 earlier this year from Leonard Wood. GL Dave is a great guy to deal with.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks