• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Howdy from Oklahoma

Ryvexuz

Bought a m939a1 after a breakup a few months back that I had wanted to turn into an expedition vehicle… but have more recently just started toying with it, In my free time at work between teaching stuff and actually working, I work on it in the parking lot. This week it received a turbine pneumatic starter. Getting ready to mount brackets up for the air tank. Not 100% sure what this vehicle is going to turn into at this point. But, at the rate it’s going who knows. Took the bed off, removed the intake and exhaust and was planning to reroute the exhaust. Right now it’s straight piped and that’s… a fun adventure for the ears. Redid the fuel system, changed out the alternator, removed the batteries and most of the interior. List goes on, anyway… howdy picture of the starter system outside the truck.

Attachments

Last edited:

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site! Quick question about your air starter.... these trucks do not retain air worth a flip... how do you intend on having enough air pressure to roll your starter over after a few days of sitting?

Not being snarky, genuine question.

Ryvexuz

Welcome to the site! Quick question about your air starter.... these trucks do not retain air worth a flip... how do you intend on having enough air pressure to roll your starter over after a few days of sitting?

Not being snarky, genuine question.
Right now just using that 20 gallon air tank in the picture. In the process of mounting it where the air filter used to be under the cab. It has a check valve on it that I’ll have connected to the air brakes. So when they fill it’ll fill back up but since it’s more independent of them when they leak out it’ll retain pressure. If they still have pressure and for some reason it needs additional starts they can still bleed into the tank to help with additional starts. Just had it running without any of the batteries or electrical components attached and having used the fuel bypass screw. There’s also some extra fittings on the tank for if it needs extra starts and needs to be filled back up when the truck isn’t running or won’t. Photo has the tanks and the air lines temporarily placement while it gets sorted

Attachments

Last edited:

Ryvexuz

Hello and welcome to the group. What was your reasoning for converting to pneumatic over electric start?
there was no practical application, it was predominantly just a student said it would be cool. And I thought yeah, why not? The starter had gone out already and it was just a few hundred extra steps to make it air…

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
there was no practical application, it was predominantly just a student said it would be cool. And I thought yeah, why not? The starter had gone out already and it was just a few hundred extra steps to make it air…
I have seen a couple old Detroit 16 cylinders that used air starters. They are unique and pretty cool.

Ryvexuz

I have seen a couple old Detroit 16 cylinders that used air starters. They are unique and pretty cool.
Those Detroit are actually what that guy had been talking about originally. He was trying to convince me to put the ol 2 stroke Detroit into it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks