• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Howdy! New M37 owner here...

mikkelborg

Hello, I'm brand spankin' new to MV's and I have a few questions about my '64 M37B-1. I've had the truck for one week now, I've gotten her to run, drive and stop and the old girl just purrs. She's mostly origional, still has the 24V electrics, waterproof ignition, vacuum wipers (one of which works, the other i'm not so sure about yet), all of the instraments are working except the oil pressure gauge (I think it's the sending unit), somewhere along the line she lost her gas can brackets and mirror and picked up a homemade steel hardtop which will be removed soon. More about that stuff later. I would post a few pictures, but I do not have any yet, I'll get some soon, I promise.

Anyways, my questions are about the markings on the truck. The sides of the hood say US ARMY 3E4197 and the bumpers say 6A 124 ARC 92 AVN 13. What do these mean? Can you tell where the truck served and if it saw combat, ect. based on these numbers? Also, the truck has a yellow bridge plate displaying the number 27, what is the significance of this number? Is there a more correct number for an M37?

My truck currently has 1964 NDT's on it, I assume they are the origional tires, they are worn pretty badly and hard as concreate, what tires do you guys prefer for your M37's? I'm thinking about getting some fresh rubber and I'd like to know what my options are.

Thank you,
Collin

oilcan

I'll try to help with what little I can.
I think the bridge plate should be "04" for an M37. When it's pulling a trailer, the little red "C" should be showing at the top, and the weight class for the trailer is added to the truck's number. Someone will chime in if I'm wrong on any of this.

As for tires, you can still get 9.00-16 NDT's. I personally like the Michelin radials in 11.00-16 on my M715, and they fit the M37's just as well. They don't look stock, but traction and ride qualities are much improved.

Almost forgot. Welcome aboard!

vtdeucedriver

Post some pics of the M37 and join the
www.g741.org
Its a forum for M37's.................you will find your brackets there or you can call John Bizal, he has repo ones now.

Tires are your decision on what you want to do with it. If your going to be a daily driver and want road speed, go with the big tires. If you want to be more for the history and dont care about a fast top end...................NDT's

Last edited:

Bill W

1964 truck with 1964 tire's! I find that alone quite cool..but I'm funny that way:roll:
PICTURE'S PLEEEASE

vtdeucedriver

Hello, I'm brand spankin' new to MV's and I have a few questions about my '64 M37B-1. I've had the truck for one week now, I've gotten her to run, drive and stop and the old girl just purrs. She's mostly origional, still has the 24V electrics, waterproof ignition, vacuum wipers (one of which works, the other i'm not so sure about yet), all of the instraments are working except the oil pressure gauge (I think it's the sending unit), somewhere along the line she lost her gas can brackets and mirror and picked up a homemade steel hardtop which will be removed soon. More about that stuff later. I would post a few pictures, but I do not have any yet, I'll get some soon, I promise.

Anyways, my questions are about the markings on the truck. The sides of the hood say US ARMY 3E4197 and the bumpers say 6A 124 ARC 92 AVN 13. What do these mean? Can you tell where the truck served and if it saw combat, ect. based on these numbers? Also, the truck has a yellow bridge plate displaying the number 27, what is the significance of this number? Is there a more correct number for an M37?

My truck currently has 1964 NDT's on it, I assume they are the origional tires, they are worn pretty badly and hard as concreate, what tires do you guys prefer for your M37's? I'm thinking about getting some fresh rubber and I'd like to know what my options are.

Thank you,
Collin
Forgot to add
6th Army, 124th ARCOM, 92nd Aviation Bn, Truck #13

nattieleather

6A 124 ARC 92 AVN 13....... 6A= 6th Army, 124 ARC = 124th Army Reserve Command (or ARCOM) 92 AVN = 92 AVaition Company Vehicle #13.

Here is what I found on the web. "April 1, 1971 became a Chinook unit assigned to the 124th ARCOM, Fort Lawton, Washington. The 92nd Aviation Company was initially located at Sandpoint Naval Support Activity, Seattle, Washington, but later moved to Paine Field, Snohomish County Airport, Everett Washington. [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Unit designation was changed to the 92nd Transportation Company (Mdm Hel) on December 16, 1979. [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]It is currently designated Company A, 5th Battalion, 159th Aviation Regiment [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Flew (or still flying) in Iraq [/FONT]

mikkelborg

Thank you for the fast responses, sorry I only have one pic so far, I've been too busy getting the truck all sorted out to be dealing with a digital camera. She looks a little different now, I've renewed most of the markings and removed most of what was left of the red. I changed the bridge plate to 04 today, got my licensing and insurance squared away and took her out for a drive. I can't wait to pry the homemade hardtop off now, it echos like crazy and is very hot on a sunny day.

Attachments

bubba_got_you

Thank you for the fast responses, sorry I only have one pic so far, I've been too busy getting the truck all sorted out to be dealing with a digital camera. She looks a little different now, I've renewed most of the markings and removed most of what was left of the red. I changed the bridge plate to 04 today, got my licensing and insurance squared away and took her out for a drive. I can't wait to pry the homemade hardtop off now, it echos like crazy and is very hot on a sunny day.
nice you have a really nice truck there.i started with a non runner with the same hard top no gas tank bad bed bad axle bad rad bad springs and the list goes on. so i think you have a really good starting point lol

mikkelborg

Thank you, as of today she shows 13,891.7 miles on her and I've confirmed the odometer is working so I don't have any reason to doubt it. Is it likely that she would have 113,000 miles on her or are these trucks just really low milage machines?

joelroll

My odometer says just over 18k. I doubt it's 118k by the way she runs and handles on the road. I imagine these trucks didn't spend a whole lot of time on the road. they weren't meant for really long trips, they were meant to get people and stuff into difficult to reach places. That's just my Hypothesis.

Capt.Marion

Most M37s are relatively low mileage. Check your pedals. The wear (unless they have been replaced) is a good indicator.

Mine reads 48k, but has been beat to hell and back by both a construction company near the ocean (Savannah) and 15 years in the swamp.

mikkelborg

The tail gate is the worst part of the truck by far, the ends are reinforced and the whole thing is warped, not enough to warrent replacement, not yet anyways... There is a tailgate in the local wrecking yard with a very worn out M37 parts truck, it is torn, but maybe I could get it and repair it better than the one on the truck now.
The rest of my truck is straight and rustfree except for one dent in the driverside rear fender and a 1.5 inch diameter hole cut in the front center of the bed floor by the fire department that had the truck before the last owner. The origional OD has a petina on it, but underneath it is actually in very good condition, some gental buffing should make it look pretty good, even up close.
Since the pictures were taken I have aquired some tailgate chains, seatbelts, and a proper license plate, which is now mounted underneath the passenger side tail light.