• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HP and Torque ???

Alan Morehead

I just bought a M35 with 7000 miles since a refurb in 1991. It has the diesel with turbo. Is it normal to slow down to 45 or so on the interstate going up hills?? Seems like it should have enough power to pull hills empty at full speed?? Can I turn the HP up on this thing?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The tag on the block should say 130 hp, my Cavalier has 140. M35 Weighs 14000 LBS, Cavalier 2700 lbs. Make sense yet?

Last edited:

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
These trucks were designed to spend something like 70% of their lives off road (I've got the exact figure, just too busy to look it up now) - AND the military's definition of a road can be created by driving a bulldozer through the woods.

Interstate driving was not a concern to the designers of this series of vehicles.

Best wishes,
David Doyle

Alan Morehead

Yes, Yes, Yes
Is it easy to get the HP out of this engine. There is no way a diesel engine this huge should only produce 140 hp. My Chevy 3500 makes 430 hp with a chip, exhaust, and intake. It actually will produce over 600 if I want it to. My Dodge 3500 inline six makes 300 hp. What is the trick to get hp out of this M35? Thanks.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can probably get up to 200 hp at best, by turning up the fuel delivery rate. If you search for fuel rate, or other sensible terms, you should find how. If you can't find this info, ask, and I'll search for it.

DavidWymore

horsepower, schrmorsepower....there's torque too you know. The deuce prolly has several times the tq of the Cavalier...apples to oranges.

Your 3500 is a much more modern engine with a much differnt purpose in mind when it was built.

How many cubes/how much tq do they make?

Alan Morehead

horsepower, schrmorsepower....there's torque too you know. The deuce prolly has several times the tq of the Cavalier...apples to oranges.

Your 3500 is a much more modern engine with a much differnt purpose in mind when it was built.

Just looking at the size of the M35 engine, it must have 750-1000 ft lb of torque. I know the Dodge and Chevy are newer and such but a diesel engine will increase hp as long as you keep adding fuel, air, and exhaust. I was just wondering if you guys put bigger injector pumps or injectors or fuel pumps or intake kits or just leave them alone. Thanks.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Well, I do not have torque values for either. I know the HP for both. Hp is something to compare and my post does give him something to shoot for and compare. Simple facts, use them however you like. If you can't see that 2 engines with similar hp but one that is 4 times the displacement, would not make more torque, then you should not be under the hood.

DavidWymore

I'm sure someone has hotrodded these engines...like you said, more air, more fuel, some timing tuning, etc = more power. Go for it! My '95 (all mechanical) Cummins Dodge has a modded pump, bigger injectors, bigger turbo, bigger pipes in/out....434 hp and probably twice that tq. One downside is more power = more heat and too much will ruin things. It's frustrating having as much power as I do and not being able to use all of it.

It may make more sense economically to swap to a more powerful/more easily modded engine.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Notice that he is a new member(join date). He probably is not to familiar with the site yet. That is why I offered to search for him if he needs more help. If I had the pertanent threads in my memory, I would post them now. He did ask valid questions that we all ask or wonder.:roll:

rattlecan6104

as far as I'm concerned, once I get to the point to upgrade, it will be a pyro gauge, then adjust the fuel pump accordingly, if more power is desired, may as well repower, from what I can tell the multifuel is great for what it is designed to do, and extreme power and speed wasnt in mind when it was designed. It just seems safer to leave it at that and just enjoy the deuce for what it is. just my 2 cents.

dburt

Pump it up, shorten the life. They were made to go slow and stout, not fast and furious. You can put taller tires (11.00X20) on to get a little more top speed on the flat, but just be real careful about turning up the pump too much, or have some spare engines lying around and the time and wherewithall to change out blown engines. When you overfuel a diesel, you wash down the cylinders, not good! Better yet, figure out how to swap in a nice 5.9L or 6.7L Cummins and the six speed double overdrive auto trans that can come behind the 6.7L. And, figure out how to do it cheaply. That would then be the cat's meow.

Alan Morehead

as far as I'm concerned, once I get to the point to upgrade, it will be a pyro gauge, then adjust the fuel pump accordingly, if more power is desired, may as well repower, from what I can tell the multifuel is great for what it is designed to do, and extreme power and speed wasnt in mind when it was designed. It just seems safer to leave it at that and just enjoy the deuce for what it is. just my 2 cents.
This is pretty much what I was looking for. If the engine can't take 200 + hp, I am not going to mess with it for 30-50 hp. I just wanted to make sure all of you were having the same issue I was.

Alan Morehead

Pump it up, shorten the life. They were made to go slow and stout, not fast and furious. You can put taller tires (11.00X20) on to get a little more top speed on the flat, but just be real careful about turning up the pump too much, or have some spare engines lying around and the time and wherewithall to change out blown engines. When you overfuel a diesel, you wash down the cylinders, not good! Better yet, figure out how to swap in a nice 5.9L or 6.7L Cummins and the six speed double overdrive auto trans that can come behind the 6.7L. And, figure out how to do it cheaply. That would then be the cat's meow.
This gives me an idea............. We have 2 more M211's and a CCKW that are basket cases.......... hhmmmm..... How neat would it be to build a 600 hp M211........ I think I will leave my creampuff M35 alone. Thanks, Alan

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks