• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HP and Torque ???

jatonka

The LD-465-1C makes about 300 Ft.Lbs. of torque, The LDT-465-1c and 1D make about 325 Ft.Lbs. of toque. This may answer your honest question on how much torque do these huge engines make. As far as Horsepower, they are not capable of more than what they already make unless you are not concerned with longevity. You can turn the fuel up, add propane, a second turbo if you are capable, and make maybe 400 horsepower, for about a 1/2 hour. Then you can go get another engine.
Or, you can find a 5 ton multifuel engine, change bell housings, starters, dipsticks, and put it in. Then hold on when you push the accelerator down. This is real power. And Longevity. JT out

Last edited:

chicklin

Still, by the time you have spent that amount of money, time, and broken parts, you could easily slap a Cummins motor and transmission in it and be happily driving around with a reliable 300-400 hp.
And there's the rub. I'm sure someone who knows what they are doing can safely "hotrod" a 465. But, in the end, what have you got? Maybe 200hp and a motor you have to be careful with to not blow it up?

Drop in a Cummins and be done with it.

DavidWymore

Actually, it is easy enough to get over 1200° EGT just driving on flat to slightly inclined roads if you have the pump turned up.
The fact that there is 13k lbs empty, 3 axles, 10 tires, gear sets, etc, and teh shear amount of drag the vehicle puts on the motor will keep you from getting too much power out of the stock deuce by just turning the pump up some.
Changing injectors, pumps, turbos, headgaskets, intake, exhaust, etc. and you should be able to get a rough 200 ish hp that would be somewhat reliable if you don't tow anything, or use it too hard. That is more of a guess based on the LDS motors, and a good amount of diesel modification knowledge.

Still, by the time you have spent that amount of money, time, and broken parts, you could easily slap a Cummins motor and transmission in it and be happily driving around with a reliable 300-400 hp.

Agreed. Mmmmm, Cummins. :-D That was gonna be my next suggestion.

Alan Morehead

I kinda figured you knew a thing or two and were just looking for specific info for the deuce engine. Sorry I can't provide it.

Mostly wanted to argue against the "Don't touch it, it will explode as soon as you touch the throttle!" mentality.
Here is the deal. I am signed in as my 61 year old dad. I need to get my own log in, just too lazy....... I own a motorcycle race shop and race on asphalt at 187mph.... I don't leave anything stock....... but I pride myself in doing things right and only one time. I don't touch anything until I have a good idea of how it works. I turn wrenches a lot. Cam Morehead

http://www.mmracing.biz/photos.htm

Alan Morehead

The LD-465-1C makes about 300 Ft.Lbs. of torque, The LDT-465-1c and 1D make about 325 Ft.Lbs. of toque. This may answer your honest question on how much torque do these huge engines make. As far as Horsepower, they are not capable of more than what they already make unless you are not concerned with longevity. You can turn the fuel up, add propane, a second turbo if you are capable, and make maybe 400 horsepower, for about a 1/2 hour. Then you can go get another engine.
Or, you can find a 5 ton multifuel engine, change bell housings, starters, dipsticks, and put it in. Then hold on when you push the accelerator down. This is real power. And Longevity. JT out
OK, you guys win. I will turn the fuel up a tad just to see a tad of the smoke and be happy with whatever my truck does. I don't want to mod this truck. It is too nice. I may build a modder with one of the other junk trucks. Thanks.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
doghead, I don't own a deuce.
Then why are you on a MV site giving advise?

Oh, here's the answer to my question!
Mostly wanted to argue against the "Don't touch it, it will explode as soon as you touch the throttle!" mentality.
Have you solved all the Dodge truck problems and just felt that we needed your help here too? WTF? There must be Cummi ns forums that need your expertise.

Are you always so, um, abrasive?
Just after a day at the beach ,in my Speedo. :oops:

Last edited:

DavidWymore

Here is the deal. I am signed in as my 61 year old dad. I need to get my own log in, just too lazy....... I own a motorcycle race shop and race on asphalt at 187mph.... I don't leave anything stock....... but I pride myself in doing things right and only one time. I don't touch anything until I have a good idea of how it works. I turn wrenches a lot. Cam Morehead

http://www.mmracing.biz/photos.htm
Nice ta meet ya. I think the same. The previous owner of my truck built it....I woulda gone a little more conservative, so I just try to remember to drive it conservatively....but that's hard! :-D

Alan Morehead

Nice ta meet ya. I think the same. The previous owner of my truck built it....I woulda gone a little more conservative, so I just try to remember to drive it conservatively....but that's hard! :-D
I had to program my Chevy to turn off at 95mph because I caught myself chasing a guy on the interstate......... did I mention I was pulling my 40' trailer........ Now I only go 95mph....:oops:

DavidWymore

Than why are you on a MV site giving advise?

Oh, here's the answer to my question!

Have you solved all the Dodge truck problems and just felt that we needed your help here too? WTF? There must be Cummi ns forums that need your expertise.

Just after a day at the beach ,in my Speedo. :oops:
'Cuz I feel like it.

Actually, I'm here becasue I grew up around OD iron and would like to own a deuce some day....and I didn't tell anyone what to do, just my $.02 and your results may vary, do your homework first....just like he's gonna do.

I only know enough to be dangerous....actually I don't go fooling with anything till I know what I'm doing, and I advis everyone else to do the same.

And regardless of anything else, "Don't touch it!" is rediculous....just make sure you know what you're doing first. A little research around here will show there's lot's of guys bumping them up without blowing them up.

DavidWymore

I had to program my Chevy to turn off at 95mph because I caught myself chasing a guy on the interstate......... did I mention I was pulling my 40' trailer........ Now I only go 95mph....:oops:

Bahahaha! I've caught myself doing stupid crap like that too....but mine's mechanical, so no shutoff...but it does redline around 100mph...

Why were you chasing him? I usually run unsafe drivers down to get the plate # and call the authorities.

SasquatchSanta

I agree with Jatonka.

As most of you know, I installed a LDS-465-1A 5-ton engine a year ago and I love it. The swap is simple and you do not want for power --- especially on a bobbed deuce. Since installing the LDS I've turned the main fuel setting DOWN 2 flats and the droop screw DOWN 1/4 turn. I did so because I had more power than I needed. I'll probably turn the pump down a little more before I'm through experimenting.

To my way of thinking the LDS (5-ton) engine in a dence gives the best of all worlds --- relaibility, dependability and performance. They sound good too. :-D

Alan Morehead

Bahahaha! I've caught myself doing stupid crap like that too....but mine's mechanical, so no shutoff...but it does redline around 100mph...

Why were you chasing him? I usually run unsafe drivers down to get the plate # and call the authorities.
I was driving along at a safe following distance and he flew past me and cut me off and about wrecked us. I lost my temper and was going to invite him to pull over. It was dumb and I regreted it so I turned the truck mph down.

DavidWymore

I agree with Jatonka.

As most of you know, I installed a LDS-465-1A 5-ton engine a year ago and I love it. The swap is simple and you do not want for power --- especially on a bobbed deuce. Since installing the LDS I've turned the main fuel setting DOWN 2 flats and the droop screw DOWN 1/4 turn. I did so because I had more power than I needed. I'll probably turn the pump down a little more before I'm through experimenting.

To my way of thinking the LDS (5-ton) engine in a dence gives the best of all worlds --- relaibility, dependability and performance. They sound good too. :-D
What brand/size engine is that?

DavidWymore

I was driving along at a safe following distance and he flew past me and cut me off and about wrecked us. I lost my temper and was going to invite him to pull over. It was dumb and I regreted it so I turned the truck mph down.
Yeah...same kinda stuff for me. I figure the highway patrol will hurt him as much or more than me without risk to me. Fools risking other people's lives sets me off.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some 5-ton trucks came with another version of the multifuel engine, that was bumped up to 200hp.

randyscycle

One question I have for everyone involved here:

Has anyone found a dyno that can handle a tandem equipped truck and actually ran a deuce on it to see what it is truly doing, or are all of the numbers being spouted here just speculation? I can guess all day at the HP output of an engine, but that is all it is in the end, a guess.

Not trying to cause any problems, but some real hard evidence would be nice.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Randy, most of the rated numbers are from the TMs. I know the LDS (200hp)motor in my wrecker has WAY more power than the LD (120hp)in my M109.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks