• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HP and Torque ???

randyscycle

Good info!

I am not toally certain on this, but I seem to recall reading somewhere along the way, that HP numbers today, are rated differently that they were say 30-40 years ago.

Any insight on that?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
HP used to be rated at the flywheel, modern readings seem to be at the wheels now, not sure when that changed.

Seen plenty of lower powered machines do better than higher hp machines, due to driver abilities, or simply terrain conditions. Lots of factors. We're talking MVs here, I think most guys loose track of that fact.:wink:

Last edited:

Alan Morehead

Sorry to ramble. I love all the MV stuff. I have been around them most of my life. Nothing is cooler than driving up to the store in a Duece to buy a pepsi........ One cousin is in a M1A1 and another is in an Apache. Thanks again.

tm america

duece engine only make like 385 ft pds of torqueand 140 is for a d motor they are slow if it wasnt for all the gear raio they probably wouldnt even move i turned my fuel rate up and put a muffler on it i went from 7 psi boost to just under thirty psi boost feels like a race truck compared to how it was with stock tires i could maintain sixty with a car on the trailer even up a small hill i think im at about 200 hp now maybe 500 ft pds torque

DavidWymore

Will be interesting to see the numbers and see how long it lasts. If fuel is increased, airflow must be increased (not decresed by adding muffler) in order to prevent meltdown.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
duece engine only make like 385 ft pds of torqueand 140 is for a d motor they are slow if it wasnt for all the gear raio they probably wouldnt even move i turned my fuel rate up and put a muffler on it i went from 7 psi boost to just under thirty psi boost feels like a race truck compared to how it was with stock tires i could maintain sixty with a car on the trailer even up a small hill i think im at about 200 hp now maybe 500 ft pds torque
I'm with gimpy. Have you checked your EGT? I've never heard of anybody pushing a mutifuel that far. :shock:

tm america

i dont have the egt yet i justwent enough to make it puff black smoke at full throttle the muffler i have on there ir a race muffler its a full flow muffler three and a half inch ive put over three thousand miles on it since i kicked the fuel up i had a hole in the exhaust pipe and it only made 15 psi changed the pipe so everything is sealed up and now its just under thirty psi i thought it would throw a rod but everything good so far

tm america

i turned the fuel stop up so it only affects it at full trottle plus i dont have a whishler turbo this works on my truck with my combo i wouldnt go any more without getting a better airfilter or putting a intercooler on there but i think im at the max the rods will hold so im just gonna see if i can find a k&n air filter to put in place of the stock paper element since the stock one only flows 410 cfm

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i dont have the egt yet i justwent enough to make it puff black smoke at full throttle the muffler i have on there ir a race muffler its a full flow muffler three and a half inch ive put over three thousand miles on it since i kicked the fuel up i had a hole in the exhaust pipe and it only made 15 psi changed the pipe so everything is sealed up and now its just under thirty psi i thought it would throw a rod but everything good so far
I'd get a pyro on there before you run it anymore or have a spare engine handy.

tm america

ive beat the h--- out of it for years like that if it hasnt gone yet i doupt its going anytime soon i have a twin cyl dump on the truck and i work it i was looking for a 24 pyro forever no luck seen 12 volt ones but still need to put another battery box in for my 12 volt system i have the dual voltage gen from a fmt when i get done with that set up egt is next gage to go in

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ive beat the h--- out of it for years like that if it hasnt gone yet i doupt its going anytime soon i have a twin cyl dump on the truck and i work it i was looking for a 24 pyro forever no luck seen 12 volt ones but still need to put another battery box in for my 12 volt system i have the dual voltage gen from a fmt when i get done with that set up egt is next gage to go in
All the pyro gauges I've seen don't require any electical conection to work. Only electrical is for the gauge light and that can be fixed by a 24V bulb , resistor, or if you have two gauges there are some that say you can wire two 12V bulbs in series on 24V.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks