• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HRD has not died! Crew cab pics, disconect pics

hot rod deuce

Well I know no one has heard of any progress for a while. Not much room for the ol' girl with the work schedule and buying seven armored vehicles, well six armored and an amphibious, from england.

here are some pictures of the drive shaft disconnect that I have had for over a month now and keep forgetting to post. I think it goes very well with the assorted Ouverson stuff.

Also a few interior shots of the truck with out a roof. All is not finished, still lots of work to do before its complete. You can see some the three layer floor mat, air ride seats, and rear bench. Also the Tilt and telescope steering column out of a class 8 truck. Fits in very well, almost like it was made for the truck. I really like how it has no key or ignition like most big rig columns.

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Outstanding! I love crew cabs, wish they had been factory.......guess one day I will have to build (buy) one

hot rod deuce

DING DING DING we have a winner. I should not have done this to you guys but I could not resist. I admit it is a Remco unit. It was laying on the table by some Cat parts, so I said HEY i got it, ill paint it up and make it look Caterpillar. Actualy I just wanted to though the "big boys" for a loop when i had some thing new they didnt have. As usual if any one is interested I will do a quantity buy and sell them out just over cost. Also if you need any ouverson stuff I will be ordering up soon. Hubs,axles, lockers Etc.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
HRD, what all needs to be modded for the Remco to work? Is it cable operated? Could be air I suppose with proper engineering.

hot rod deuce

well, if you wanted to spend enough cash you could get one that would just weld in and then bolt on their shifter. I opted to do all the machine work were it goes in the old tube and make my own air fork. Its basicly how much you want to spend. Or i could make some one an air shift unit fairly soon.Cable just seems like a pain on a vehicle that will not get used very much

houdel

HRD, that inter axle disconnect is way too cool. Keep us informed of your progress. Are the splines keyed to keep the U-joints synchronized?

weewillywinky

confused about driveline disconnects

OK. I am totally confused by axle/ drivetrain disconnects.
Like most folks, my M35a2 is stock and i get all of the front tire wear/ scrubbing that comes from having the interaxle connected. From what i read in the forum, driving the rear-rear axle is best(?) and it is desirable to have the front-rear axle NOT pulling, until needed by road/ terrain conditions. then, somehow, magically the front-rear axle is is Empowered.... whew.
How the hell do I do that?

I like the idea of a power divider that proportions driving power between both front-rear and rear-rear axles. but is that do-ablee with a deuce. At this point, ALL ideas and thoughts are weelcome. and Please feel free to EXPLAIN in painful detail, because I am really lost here.

thanks michael

rizzo

Re: confused about driveline disconnects

weewillywinky said:
OK. I am totally confused by axle/ drivetrain disconnects.
Like most folks, my M35a2 is stock and i get all of the front tire wear/ scrubbing that comes from having the interaxle connected. From what i read in the forum, driving the rear-rear axle is best(?) and it is desirable to have the front-rear axle NOT pulling, until needed by road/ terrain conditions. then, somehow, magically the front-rear axle is is Empowered.... whew.
How the hell do I do that?

I like the idea of a power divider that proportions driving power between both front-rear and rear-rear axles. but is that do-ablee with a deuce. At this point, ALL ideas and thoughts are weelcome. and Please feel free to EXPLAIN in painful detail, because I am really lost here.

thanks michael
all the semi trucks that I know of power the front drive axle. If I was going to install a lockout hub on the back i would do it on the rear axle. and leave the front to drive. That is my opinion.

I would like to hear why it would be better to power the rear drive.

hot rod deuce

Yeah I am with you on the rear axle thing. Other than it is a shorter walk to unlock the middle one. Some one once said weight was more on the rear axle. Im not sure how this is possable with the suspension setup.

hot rod deuce

"all the semi trucks that I know of power the front drive axle."-Rizzo

All trucks have a diff between the two rears. They power all four all the time. There is Tq there. However when one spins because there is a diff in the middle as well the truck stops. Thats what the "power divider" is, it divides power to the two axles, AKA inter-axle because Its also a diff like in an axle.

Now, Power divider, inter-axle, there are many trucker terms. All it is is a Diff between the two axles that is lockable. Think of the pinion gears as "tires" only one "pinion" has to spin. THEN you can Lock it and make BOTH pinions turn.

basicly a selectable locker if you will.

Then when you need it you "lock" the "inter-axle" aka "powerdivider" THEN you will make TWO spin and it is just like a Deuce or 5 ton.

hot rod deuce

Hmmm Planetary? in a transfercase? Ithink you are thinking of a Diff assembly. Planetary gears are a little different, MOST T-cases dont have them, they rotoate much like stars in the solar system around a 'sun gear". yeah I know its far fetched but thats what eight years of college helped some one come up with

Yes the thought has crossed my mind sveral times. However most Deuce guys are on a budget and those who are not are not usualy interested in making their truck more economical.So this brings us back to a simple disconect. Even around 500 bucks they will be hard to sell. You can do an axle/hub for around 500 as well. The ultimate is two lock outs on the rear-rear and a disconect.

Either way If you need parts I have them, Lock outs, axles, and soon disconects. Any one interested in a trade?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks