• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hub Assembly

The Baron

Hey guys, I have a 1984 M1009. How can I tell if I need to replace just the wheel bearing or the entire hub assembly? If I do replace the whole assembly, is the Timken assembly at Autozone any good? Thanks.

top_prop

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...ring-servicing-and-hub-replacement&highlight=

Start by reading the thread above, along with the TM sections quoted there.

As for replacing hubs... I think you mean disks-hubs... ie you can press the disc off the bearing hub... but I've never done it... luckily my discs on my m1009 were still within limits... on my 1987 R20 suburban they were not, so I just got the hub/disc assembly and reused my original bearings (they were nice and tight)...

Truth be told you won't know until you tear it all apart, measure the discs, and take a look at the clean used bearings to know what to do.

If you find you need new bearings, I always get the better warranty/good reputation items, and Timken have a good reputation... bearings failing at the wrong time can be catastrophic... or just a big pain in the but.

If you mean locking hubs when you say hubs... read my thread above.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks