• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hub clunking. . .

idM1028

The last few days I had been noticing a clunking noise coming from around the front driver side wheel on my M1028. No shake, shimmy, vibration, or other weird stuff, just a clunking noise that (if I could hear it) seemed to proportional to my speed I.E. it increased the faster I went and vice versa. Today I did an impromptu inspection and noticed no leaking fluids. I also tried checking the U-joint in the axle and could find no major play. I also checked my locking hubs. The one on the passenger side was nice and tight, but the one on the driver side was pretty loose (and as far as I could tell, was the source of the noise). I tried tightening up the screws that attach it, but to no avail. My questions are A. Could there possibly be something else amiss and B. Should I be worried about it? I like to keep my truck in good working order and weird stuff like this tends to grab my attention.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should take the lockout apart and see why the screws won't tighten . Check for wore threads ect. , if its clunking odds are it will fail when you need it.

idM1028

I should've clarified a bit. The screws will unscrew and tighten, but the screws are torqued all the way down and won't tighten any more yet its still loose. I will agree with taking the lockouts apart. I'm starting to think it might be about time for a rebuild, but theres really only one way to know for sure.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks