• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hub Flipping & Running duals?

NorthWoodsDuce

I searched, and searched.... so hopefully I didn't miss this if it is out there.

I was wondering if you can run duals after flipping the hubs around? I know they fit, as I tried after I flipped my hubs, but I noticed the outside dual rim runs on the axel end not on the hub itself. I don't want to put strain on the bearings by putting that outside dual way out there. Any thoughts, comments, ideas?
Thanks!

FreightTrain

Banned
it would kill the bearings pretty fast being that far out.Plus you would be illegal.Too wide and some places it is illegal to run tires past the body(but not like they enforce that law seeing all these rollerskated Hoopties)

Trango

Ok, so this is funny - I actually flipped the hubs on an M104, and I'm running duals, on an improvised frame. Hopefully I'll be ok, but only carrying about 4500 payload.

NorthWoodsDuce

Thats kind of what I thought. Thanks for the info. Also... I see a lot (most) of the deuce's around me run with hubs flipped and only one wheel on each. Looks bad (to me anyway) and has more strain on the bearings. Thanks again

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
No, hubs flipped and one wheel keep the rears inline with the front wheels. No increase in load on bearings. See above pic, its actually 79" wide instead of 92".

DeuceBlazer

in my opinion the wheels bearings should be fine with the hubs flipped and duals, but it would be wide. now if your trying to haul heavy loads i probably wouldnt do it. I have my hubs flipped to match the front axle width and i am running 48x25/20 terra tires and have yet to see any problems.

motorolanut

What the deal with putting duals on the fronts of older dueces, like 211's, I heard they did this many years ago for traction in deep mud....I did see a pic on this site once of one...

NorthWoodsDuce

What i ment by hubs flipped with one wheel... the one wheel was not inline with the front. It was flipped outwards.. just like if you were running duals with flipped hubs. I'm a little smarter than that.

acetomatoco

CCKWs routinely ran duals on the front, some times with chains. For the collector and ease of steering, use worn tires on the outside so that in normal hard road driving the outers will barely be in contact with road for ease of steering, but in mud will provide flotation (yes it is spelled flotation). Happy Motoring.