• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

hub leak.

M37Dodge

Classic hub seal leak . . .

Congrats - that is a classic hub seal failure leaking rear end oil. The seal is simple to replace - you just need a 3/8" and 9/16" open end wrenches to pull the axle and a little silicone for the seal flange. Repack the hub bearings w/ grease while you are there - they are oil contaminated. Keep in mind there may be a need to replace the nut the seal rides on/redisleeve if it has a groove where the axle flange seal rides on it. New is $9 or so.

However, the oil may have leaked out contaminating the brake shoes. You need to check the brakes especially if the leak is old/lots of oil got out - as your photo indicates.

Last edited:

dougimes

What M37dodge said... looks like rear end oil
Something you might want to check also- I had a brake shoe that hung up, or was tight, got the drum hot, which got the hub hot, which got the oil hot, which caused it to leak out a seal that otherwise was ok.

I.E. root cause was overheated drum.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks