• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hub/spindle assembly

nspctr1

A few weeks ago I was driving down the road doing approx 45mph when my front rt tire decided to take a detour. From my understanding the locking washer was not installed properly which allowed the bolt to back off therefore letting the wheel to set itself free. I purchased a new spindle as the threads etc were damaged during the removal.
I have a couple of questions regarding this repair. I need the outer seal and am going to replace the other one, are these available at a local parts store? If not, what do you recommend?
Next, Am I correct in thinking that if I remove the 4 bolts holding the shaft in place to the hub that the remaining parts should be laying in the bottom of the hub?
The outer bearing on the spindle looks good, no nicks or burn marks so probably not going to replace it. Question is, how do you get it off?

Thx

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would replace the spindle bearings also. Although it might look ok. The inner race could be deformed a bit. Spindle extraction is normally a violent event. If the inner race is now out of round even a thousands of a inch, that bearing won't be long for this world. As far as finding the parts, take the bearing numbers and the seal numbers and go over to Motion Industries off of 410 just north if IH 410 on the east side. They should have the bearings and seals in stock. If not they will have them the next day. It's normally much cheeper to go to a bearing supply than a auto parts store. Also you can get real Timkin bearings instead of china knock offs.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A few weeks ago I was driving down the road doing approx 45mph when my front rt tire decided to take a detour. From my understanding the locking washer was not installed properly which allowed the bolt to back off therefore letting the wheel to set itself free. I purchased a new spindle as the threads etc were damaged during the removal.
I have a couple of questions regarding this repair. I need the outer seal and am going to replace the other one, are these available at a local parts store? If not, what do you recommend?
Next, Am I correct in thinking that if I remove the 4 bolts holding the shaft in place to the hub that the remaining parts should be laying in the bottom of the hub?
The outer bearing on the spindle looks good, no nicks or burn marks so probably not going to replace it. Question is, how do you get it off?

Thx
it would seem almost impossible for me to believe that the threads on the Spindle fared well....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks