• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hub Studs Sheared Off - Wrecker - Texas

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone get word from Jeepsinker? I'm sure he's got more on his mind than updating here but I'm on the edge of my seat wondering how he's getting along.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone get word from Jeepsinker? I'm sure he's got more on his mind than updating here but I'm on the edge of my seat wondering how he's getting along.
Looks like around 15:00 he started the arduous task of hub pulling and pounding out and in 10 studs. It's what, 35 degrees in Austin area? Not best for productivity.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just met with Jeepsinker for Dinner as he passed back through town. Repairs were made and he is road worthy again heading back home. New studs, bolts, etc but the CTIS is fubar on that hub. I got a look at the rim and it could have been much worse but thankfully it wasn't. I'll let him post pics when he gets home.

Barrman

I can't believe I had a chance to help somebody and wasn't able to.

Fuzzy left me a voice mail during my Scout meeting. I couldn't get to it until the meeting was over. Almost as soon as I listened to the voice mail Jeepsinker called. He was just 20 minutes away in the freezing rain. I offered to come get him and let him stay in our house for the night.

We talked about how to fix the truck. I don't know 5 tons and he wanted to try a few things. He said he would call back. I got a bunch of tools I thought might help together and cold weather gear all set. I figured as soon as I left for him, he would call needing something I didn't have. So, I stayed home.

I am truly sorry I could not help you out any last night.

I am out of town at a teacher conference today and the rest of the week. This has been my first chance online in a few days. Glad to read you got going and didn't freeze.

Again, I am sorry not to have been more help last night.

Jeepsinker

Ok guys, I got home at 3:43 am last night , shut the truck down and passed out. I just got up. It looks like what caused the failure is that the lugs were over tightened. 7 of ten of them showed signs that they were cracked halfway through for a long time. I was able to do all the repair without removing the hub by inserting the studs from the back with the drum off. The studs pressed in by tightening the nuts down fairly easily. I found signs that the tire directly in front of the one I lost has cracked studs as well, and already had two studs shear off on the passenger side intermediate axle, but caught that and re tightened the lugs. Had to stop halfway home and re tighten all the lugs on the one I just fixed too. Barrman, don't fret brother, I appreciate that you made yourself available if I needed you. That's what counts.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the update and assessment.

Glad it worked out for you.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used to teach a course on torque application. Unfortunately most people have no idea how dangerous over torquing is. It's just like stretching a spring too far. The damage is done and can't be recovered. New fasteners are the only solution. Really glad you made it home ok.

Jeepsinker

Mkcoen, I can make another trip out to get your truck, but it'll cost more because I no longer have a previous engagement there. Only reason I came home was because the government is closed until Tuesday. I made an appointment for Tuesday morning just in case.

Jeepsinker

Would a mod please move this to the 5 ton forum now. It would seem to be more pertinent there now that it is no longer an emergency. Some decent info here I believe.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mkcoen, I can make another trip out to get your truck, but it'll cost more because I no longer have a previous engagement there. Only reason I came home was because the government is closed until Tuesday. I made an appointment for Tuesday morning just in case.
Thanks but I'm sure I can find a cheaper local alternative than you driving from LA for 1 truck.

dmetalmiki

Congratulations on accomplishing a very tediouse and nerve devouring mission, glad you have home and that you are taking steps to alleviate any further occurrences.

Jeepsinker

Yeah stupid iPhone. To get them right side up I have to email pics to myself, upload them to another file, then download them another way, then open them in another window, then turn them over, then I can post them right side up. My fiancée figured that all out today. Guess I just have to get a digi camera. Notice my avatar is now right side up! I finally was able to login on my computer for the first time today too!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks