• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hubs

baja_power

Are the front and rear hubs the same and interchangeable?

I had a bad wheel bearing in the back, replaced it. All is fine...

Had a front go too. But this one took some other parts with it. Including a hub.

Ive notices the hubs are drilled and Tapped on both sides. By flipping the drum around and pressing and flipping out the studs, can a rear hub be used in the front?

Attached are photos of the front hub. Note the drilled holes on both sides.

Attachments

Trango

Yes yes yes!!! The hubs are totally the same ones, front to back.

If you bang the studs out, either use a press (slow and steady) or use a brass headed hammer. I go two steps further.... I hold a brass block on the top of the stud and hit THAT with big hammer, to make sure I don't ding the threads, and I even still thread a lugnut onto the stud just in case.

Hey, one other hint.... when you loosen the brakes off the hubs, they are frequently very very dusty. Even though it's a good idea to change the grease on the bearings, you can still minimize the amount of dirt and debris you drop into the bearings by, on the rear hubs, always loosening the 3/4" drum retention bolts ONLY when they are vertically under the bearings.

Meaning, when you loosening those bolts, keep the hub's axis horizontal, and just keep rolling the hub along the floor while loosening those bolts. This won't make much sense.... until you start actually loosening these bolts, and you realize that you can control how much dirt from the drum gets in the bearings. :D

Cheers
Bob

rdixiemiller

Actually, if the bearing race spins on the spindle, it will weld itself on. I have had to cut the races into 3 or 4 pieces with a torch and chisel the pieces off the spindle. Then, chuck the spindle in a lathe and true it up.
Of course, by then the spindle is usually weakened enough that it should be replaced.
I have seen the spindle actually go cherry red and twist off. Had it happen to me one time on an old IHC dumper. That was a treat.
If the spindle is blued all the way around, it has been hot enough to warrant replacement.

red devils dude

there the easy part(I've work a few old chevy's with adjusters like that) it's geting the hub's
off without get dust on every thing and how the where the race's go that I needed.

rmgill

I had always understood that there are in fact two sets of races. An inner and an outer. The bearings themselves (needles, cones or balls) run in the races and are held together by the cages.

Now, is it bad if a race can spin a touch in what it's driven into?

Jones

The race, being as hard as it is to provide a running surface for balls, needles or rollers will wallow out the mating surface on the spindle or in the hub. The heavier the vehicle, the faster it happens. Results are early and repeat replacement of the bearing assembly(s) due to misalignment, bad steering or braking from excess play in bearings, and the inability to keep bearings adjusted properly. On the far end of the scale; catastrophic failure of bearing, spindle or hub from excess heat from friction and possible loss of vehicle and crew. Short answer to " Is it bad if a race can spin..." Yes.

Trango

If a race spins SLIGHTLY in what it's driven into, there are ways of getting it to seat regardless. Of course, if the bore is slightly wallowed out unevenly, you will lose the alignment inherent to the original press or interference fit, but most of the time, if the race just BARELY moves or spins, the alignment will still be good.

Threadlocker (or is it LocTite, sorry, can't remember) makes a sleeve retainer. IIRC, it's a green tube. I had a race in a Dana axle once that had lost its press fit... that sleeve retainer product helped a TON.

Bob

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks