• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hubs

Elwenil

Ummm, also, technically speaking, the bearing has an inner race. That is it's name, but it is not thought of in that way since most modern bearings come with the race, cage, and roller or ball as an assembly or "cone".

rdixiemiller

Elwenil said:
Ummm, also, technically speaking, the bearing has an inner race. That is it's name, but it is not thought of in that way since most modern bearings come with the race, cage, and roller or ball as an assembly or "cone".
Correct. The inner race is assembled with the rollers and cage, but it is still an inner race. The outer race is sometimes called a bearing cup, both terms are correct. If the outer race spins, it will ruin the hub quickly. If the inner race spins (more common since it is not a press fit) it will wreck the spindle almost immediately.
I have taken a hub that spun the outer race and loosened up and made temporary repairs as follows:
Take a sharp "prick punch" and lightly stake the inside of the hub where the bearing race seats. The object is to raise up areas of metal around the punch marks to hold the bearing race in place. Then use some of the loctite race seating compound and drive the race in place. Re-assemble the hub and bolt it onto the spindle. This was used as a temporary repair while a new hub was located. I wouldn't drive one like this for more than a couple of weeks, although I have heard of this repair lasting years.
I saw several cars lose a front wheel/hub when a wheel brg. burned out. I had a couple I had to tow in because the end of the spindle twisted off and the wheel headed into the trees.

Elwenil

Yeah, I've seen quite a few of those myself. Even more common now that just about everything uses "unit bearing" hubs. For some reason no one wants to pay $200 for the new bearing assembly in their new vehicle when their old one took bearings that might add up to $80 total. Ahhhh progress, lol...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks