• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hummer 6.2 vs ls swap

CBrinker

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a 1985 m1009 with a bad motor and tranny and I was hoping to get some opinions from others on the forum. My options are a brand new in the crate military hummer 6.2 and a sm465 tranny or I can pick up a 4.8,5.3, or 6.0 ls with a 4l80e to swap in. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

glaser06

I haven't heard great things about the 6.2 mated to the sm465 as far as driveability. The 465 was ok behind a smallblock but I would want a 5sp with overdrive if I were going to a stick.

My $0.02

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

CBrinker

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks. I was thinking a nv4500 would be better but i'm finding the sm465 trannys cheap. I forgot to mention at the beginning that it is not going to be a daily driver and it has the original 308 gears and 33 inch mud tires

Skinny

Either trans will be rough because of the gearing spread. I would think an NV3500 although lighter duty would drive way better with a 6.2 diesel. As far as an LS swap goes, I don't think you can compare the two. The LS will probably get slightly less fuel economy and has much more wiring involved although not too bad. It probably is better in almost every regard other than just being dirt simple.

red

Had a k10 with the 3.08 axle gears, 32"s, sm465, and 305 gasser. Worked out great for rock crawling and highway driving so with more torque down low the 6.2/sm465 plan should work well for you.

CBrinker

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, ive got a rusted out m1008 with good axles sitting around so if i need to i can get the other needed parts for an axle swap, but it will probably just be a mostly stock 6.0 if i go the route

scottladdy

Ok, thanks. Yea i know they really cant be compared. It will just be basically a "weekend warrior"
Definitely some work ahead of you. Sounds like fun!

"weekend warrior" can mean a lot of different things. I know it can be difficult to define what we may want to do with our trucks, but any additional information can help with recommendations.

CBrinker

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea it's gonna be a lot of work but it will hopefully pay off in the end haha. Yea I should have defined that better, just drive it to the beach in the summer, something cool to drive around during hot rod weekend here in ocean city and maybe a few other things like occasional towing of my boat or dirtbikes. Might also use it as a hunting rig some.

Skinny

I personally like the slow 6.2 just for its reliability and cheap to run characteristics. My Suburban build took a turn when I found a very small crack in the cooling jacket on the side of the block that is now weeping. If I knew this before dropping it into my Suburban, building a new fuel system along with a new IP I would have probably just gotten an LS with manual trans from LKQ, bought a standalone harness or turn key ECM package, exhaust/oil pan parts, and shoe horned that thing in there because it is a pretty reliable setup stock for not a lot of money. All set with those old TBI or Vortec engines. Everyone swaps LS engines because they are cheap, everywhere, and make great power for the $$$. Of course when you drop a grand on 6.2 parts and another $400 of filtration, you are already committed at that point.

scottladdy

I personally like the slow 6.2 just for its reliability and cheap to run characteristics.
Exactly this! Plus it's cool.

I work with High School students and they really like my old trucks, in large part because of the unique oil burner under the hood. It is clanky and sounds powerful :shock:.

For what you want to do, I would go with the diesel. It will remain more unique and be easier to just drop in. You probably have all the accessories etc. This way you can also spend more time wheelin instead of wrenchin.

What is wrong with the old plant?

CBrinker

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is true. Well i bought the truck for $100 from the local police department and it even came with a title haha. They had the motor torn apart because of swollen glow plugs and a bad injection pump but then let it sit so all the internals now have some rust. I just want to swap the tranny because i am not sure of its condition and i figure it would be easier to take out with the motor

scottladdy

Cool, and the motor may be salvageable. Depending on the rust etc, if there is no pitting you may be able to clean up the surfaces. However installing a "known good" unit provides some sense of security.

Also, remember that whatever you change (auto to manual trans) will require hunting down parts (clutch, bell housing, pedals, shifter, etc) where you are more likely to have working parts if you keep things the same.

All the best!

Last edited:

Skinny

If I was going with an LS there is absolutely no way I would keep the TH400. It's a great trans but will do that engine no justice. It robs power, has terrible gearing, no lock up, and no OD. The good news is that you can beat the bag out of it and it will have those attributes forever. If I was doing an engine swap that had a decent amount of wiring for the engine, I would suck it up and step up to a modern electronic overdrive trans if staying with an automatic.

Skinny

A mated manual trans is probably difficult to find just because of the low production vs. the automatic but LKQ probably has a million 6.0/4L80E combos ready to go out the door from bare to dressed for cheap money. I don't think I would even waste my time trying to find a donor rig unless one popped up and was smashed for no money. Plus I like the idea of just buying a standalone controller and being able to eliminate cats, post cat sensors, and even the MAF if you want to go with a bare speed density setup.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks