• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hummer hot rod

tobyS

Has anyone seen a hot rod, maybe not 4wd, hummer? Rat rod? I have a wide Dana 80 with 410 I'm wondering about adapting. Are there any bodies around, not all beat up, to build from?

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need a body, not a frame. You realize that HMMWV axles don't go straight to the wheels but terminate in boxes that reverse the axle's spin direction and then drop down to the wheels?

springer1981

There is a guy locally that was mounting a Humvee body on a truck frame and using the stock truck drive train. He was using the straight axle from the truck. IMO it's not a great idea. I'm not sure what motivated the project.

tobyS

You need a body, not a frame. You realize that HMMWV axles don't go straight to the wheels but terminate in boxes that reverse the axle's spin direction and then drop down to the wheels?
Yes Tobash, I know of the gear reduction and the plan would be to entirely eliminate the OEM in back of a tranny (probably not the original...my starter vehicle if I mess with HMMWV is unlikely to be running).

A bus engine with Allison is not out of the question... I like Cummins...or Cat. I also have a ford I beam front axle but it is 10 lug and I'll probably stick to the 8 lug. Looking at geometry of the OEM front with drive removed, it does appear that lowering or air bags is a possibility without changing everything.

How hard would it be to locate a body....cheap?

I'm starting to look for components that attach to my axle. My Dana rear had duals, but I'm looking at semi truck super singles on the rear. Rims....may be custom.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was a company that made what looked like an H 1 hummer body that fit on a Chevy Suburban.

It would make more sense for you to find one of those replicas and use it rather than go through all the fabrication.

I occasionally see them pop up on eBay and other auction sites. That would give you what you want without major fabrication.

tobyS

Tobash, I like doing the fabrication and adapting this Dana 80 axle. It is from an E450 bus, and is 7" wider than normal. I learned a lot on my deuce rear springs with air bags and will build that way again.

I often fabricate with a welder in one hand and torch in the other ....sawmill equipment a specialty.

tobyS

The wide base semi tire I have is 41". New michelins at 22.5 all need a 14" wide rim and thus make size choice easier. The Michelins are about the same height as the GY I have. Rims are available in semi bolt pattern but it would be nice to have the 170mm BC drilled in the wheel. Adaptors from 8 lug to semi 10 lug are readily available and I have some 1" plate for making them, if I go that way.

With about 8" ground clearance, the rear wheel well will go high up on the body. I'm eyeing the wheel well of the 1101 trailer (inside) for the extension and shape out past the hmmwv body. Kinda like a porsche914 GT rear....but boxy. Tires extend about 3" outside (each side) beyond the body.

The springs that came on the bus are long and flat and could be reduced in size (number of layers) but with air bags, brought to proper height under load (Gooseneck trailer). May make the axle "under-slung". Or???

tobyS

There is an interesting YouTube video of Mil-Spec Hummers "Track focused" hot rod hummer. Cool.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get some 20 inch, 8 on 170 steelies and run two of your Sand Trails in the back if you still have them.

tobyS

Get some 20 inch, 8 on 170 steelies and run two of your Sand Trails in the back if you still have them.
The speed on the sand trail is something like 50 mph limit and the wide base semi is 80. I cannot believe how smooth the wide Michelins run too. I watched a semi close the other day that convinced me a highway truck hummer might be a fun project with the wide Dana 80 and the 22.5x14 rim.

I have a few boxes of 4 sand trails that you have made me think about.....I should stick them on my A3 wheels for the 4x4 deuce. I have chains too. I never seem to get the 395s and they may be better than expected. I bet dish in on the front would rub and dish out be too wide plus bearing issues.

Would the SandTrail tire seat okay on the A3 rim?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks