• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hummer Wheels on My M1008! PERFECT!

decodeme2

In Memorial
In Memorial
Hey Guys, :wink:
Happy as a clam! I used the 2" spacers and the rims fit perfect. 36X12.5X16.5 stock rims. I should have done this in the first place. They fit perfectly under the fenders and I trimmed a tad off the front fenders and they dont rub! No lift. Next Im ready to paint it camo., What do you use to outline the colors on the truck>? Im painting it all green. Then outline the colors with a pensil, then go back with a rattle can and paint the colors. What else can I use that is easier to see than a pencil? I want the paint to stick to the outline so I cant use a grease pencil.

Cevon..

Attachments

M1075

[thumbzup] Those rims and tires look new! They must have really changed the look/attitude of your truck. Got any before pics for comparison? Why did you go with the 12 bolt rims and bias tires? I usually see the bias tires with the 8 bolts and radials with the 12 bolts.

M1075

After a few miles, be sure to pull the wheels off and the check the nuts on the spacers. I have heard horror stories about them coming off.

Elwenil

If I remember correctly, the manual says to do the outlines in chalk. I always wondered if you would have to clean the chalk off after painting one of the colors or just paint over it.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Looks great. Could you post the manufacturer, part number, and price for the spacers. I might need a set for M116 trailer if I put Hummer rims on it.

Jetnoise400

Elwenil said:
If I remember correctly, the manual says to do the outlines in chalk. I always wondered if you would have to clean the chalk off after painting one of the colors or just paint over it.
Correct. The manual does say to use chalk. I found that just painting over it works best. I had a spot that didn't get covered all the way, and I found the chalk doesn't want to wash off very well. So another shot from the rattle can, and it's all good.

nattieleather

I've always had good luck at free handing it. I look at the picture and then paint the outline of the shape first and then I fill in the middle. Always looked good....besides it's cammoflage.... :)

Elwenil

Croatan_Kid said:
I don't know from experience, but I wouldn't think you could really mess up a camo pattern, lol. Just kinda go with it 8)
Actually I have seen quite a few that have been murdered. If you look at the patterns, you will notice how they wrap around the corners and across definable shapes like the grille and and other easily spotted identifying shapes as well as how the colors blend the windows into the pattern to disguise them. The patterns are designed specifically for the vehicle to break up it's shape if not hide it completely. A lot of freehand or homemade patterns don't take this into consideration and make it easy to spot a vehicle painted correctly vs one that was half-azzed.

AJMBLAZER

Watch your front drag link. The d-side front HMMWV tire I had on my M1008 were tagging the forward drag link when I turned to the right and it was tearing it up. I ended up having to replace the factory turn stop with a longer 3/8" bolt and lost a bit of my right turn radius.
Hopefully the new tires will fix this problem...

K5NUTT

We used chalk to outline in the army....then we used wheel bearing grease on glass and the lights and sprayed away from what i remember.

205thtrans-8/158th Co. A Fliegerhorst kaserne, wiesbaden AB 1986-9

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks