• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HUMMWV's

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not a purist just someone who is correct. You wouldn't spell jeep geep. Now you need to fix all of the Duce threads:p

2w091

Nothing wrong with being a purist.
On a positive note, we had a snopw/ice storm and the vehicle was a huge asset. So much so we are looking at getting another operational one in addition to one to cann for parts.

cobra5

I'm not a HMMWV guy but wouldn't it be better for what your using the vehicle for, to get rid of the slant back top and put on a helmet top? More storage space for equipment? I would consider myself a purist and I don't see any problem with modifying the vehicle to fit your needs, especially for safety and functionality. Besides the vehicle is still serving but in a different role instead of being scrapped and shipped to China.

2w091

The slant back is a good compromise, the helmet tops are a bit harder to find and generally have more miles on them, I looked at a couple. I'm assuming because they were mainly used for maintenance and had to travel more to the location of a broken down vehicle or in more convoys than other vehicles. If I could find a decent one I'd take it in a heartbeat.

2w091

Very true but the disparity was overwhelming, with one exception.
I looked at one helmet shell that had been used for recruiting, it had digital Army camo overlay, 11,000 miles and had chrome side pipes. The inside was glossy grey and immaculate, I smiled and the DRMO guy started laughing, "you can't have that one, the base commander wants to keep it and use it around the base". Could'nt argue it made sense but I was still bummed, I thought for a second I'd hit the jackpot. The other helmet tops all had at least 35,000-40,000 miles, as compared to 5,000-13,000 for the slant backs, some with less than 5,000.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may be able to find a helmet top without the truck. I was so pissed at my last company when we got back from Iraq and no one wanted to transfer the helmets to the new trucks... Glad that you already have "justified" the truck, even one life saved/one person helped/etc... makes the investment in a vehicle like that worth it.

2w091

We had to press it into service during the last two snow/ice storms, it's still desert tan, is not marked and has no emergency equipment. We put a small magnetic LED light bar on top and ran it off a 12v jump box sitting on the back seat, worked like a champ. We pulled a few cars out of ditches and they were impressed, talk about good PR.......;)

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The slant back is a good compromise, the helmet tops are a bit harder to find and generally have more miles on them, I looked at a couple. I'm assuming because they were mainly used for maintenance and had to travel more to the location of a broken down vehicle or in more convoys than other vehicles. If I could find a decent one I'd take it in a heartbeat.
I can't recall a dedicated maintenance HMMWV with a helmet top. In 15 years of service helmet top HMMWVs I've owned or seen have overwhelmingly been leaders vehicles. Not to say they are never maintenance vehicles, but I think it'd be incorrect to associate helmet tops with maintenance or high mileage. There is no widespread correlation between helmet tops and mileage.

With that said, some of the best HMMWVs I've seen were high mileage. An old M998, dated 1980something my section pulled out of the draw yard at NTC ran like a raped ape. Probably the highest mileage military vehicle I've personally seen, with countless units driving it like they stole it rotation after rotation. But it hauled a$$ and ran great. Whereas my truck as a PL looked new and didn't have many miles but it ran like a dog. Vehicles are made to be driven. When they sit, they rot.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In my current unit, the only HMMWV with a helmet top does belong to the maintenance section. In the company I went to Iraq with, all of the primary HMMWVs had helmet tops. But we only had about 8 HMMWVs, everything else was MTV series trucks of various configs.

2w091

I'll have to get the NSN and search for a top the pic is one I looked at, this one had some engine problems so I passed.

I see your a loggie, I spent the last 12 years in the USAF on the loggie side.
Worked with a lot of container movements from depots across the country, good times.............

2510-01-446-3535..............that was easy...........

Last edited:

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you think the reason maintenance sections have a lot of HMMWVs with those tops is because they can order them AND get them installed without a whole lot of grief? As opposed to a commo section or mess section or the like. Irregardless of actual need... I believe so.

2w091

Some of the helmet tops had integrated stainless toolboxes on the rear of both sides, that's why I assumed they were used for mobile/convoy maintenance.

That was my WAG on the subject...........(Wild Ass Guess)

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some of the helmet tops had integrated stainless toolboxes on the rear of both sides, that's why I assumed they were used for mobile/convoy maintenance.

That was my WAG on the subject...........(Wild Ass Guess)
Most of ours did. they also provided an enclosed full rear compartment (vs. a slantback) where POL products, tool boxes, and parts could be stored without worrying about the rain or snow or whatever getting on/in them. The side tool boxes often held random tools or minor POL stuff. Straps were also common.

I preferred them as they provided a much better insulator against rain and such for working in the truck. they did get a little loud though. If I were to have one as a long term vehicle again, I'd probably insulate the inside with some dynomat or something.

Al Harvey

I see your a loggie, I spent the last 12 years in the USAF on the loggie side.
The often over looked and ignored logistics guys, well until they want something from us.

I preferred them as they provided a much better insulator against rain and such for working in the truck. they did get a little loud though. If I were to have one as a long term vehicle again, I'd probably insulate the inside with some dynomat or something.
The first one I got was a helmet top and they were a lot better against rain and wind. Though I always felt that all models that weren't armored were loud.

The agency I work for has 4 of them. We also acquired 3 trailers. They have come in handy during storms and flooding. Also hauling things to the range. Guys were skeptical at first, but we are getting a lot of use from them. Our mechanics flipped out at first, but have come around a bit. So far we have only needed batteries and one power steering pump. Some of us that like tinkering have helped out with the PM and cleaning them up. So far we have two slant backs, one 2-man cargo with troop seats, and one 4-man soft top.