• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

humvee ac kit in the 915a1

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cool! I'm looking to do something like this soon to my M916. Did you find a compressor bracket that works correctly?

agazza2

Do you have any pics of under the hood, of the compressor and where you mounted the dryer? Castle Bravo, Red Dot said the Bracket #[FONT=&quot]995-126 for $152[/FONT] is the correct one. Maybe Reb87 can verify this is the one he used.

reb87

The bracket I used is Red Dot part number RD-5-6232-0 and also 75R9890 is on the box. It came with the proper belt and I used the hardware from the compressor in the kit(about 90 bucks from my local red dot dealer). WHen I put mine together I forgot about the tm for putting air in the 915a1,I just looked it up and it calls for bracket kit RD-2-4530-0(page 231 calls the bracket" rd-9-10055") which would be a better bracket as mine required some tweaking to get tight. Download TM "TB 9-2320-273-13&P-2" from logsa https://www.logsa.army.mil/etms/ind...a70ed8adc-A8C523C1-E533-ECB5-928057BB60AAF2A4, it has all the part numbers around page 231 and installation instructions. My kit had the dryer mounted on the condenser unit, you can see it in the pic from above the condenser. It looks like the gov used a kit pretty similar to the hummer kit on their 915 trucks.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How long have you operated the A/C so far? I would think the 3 fans and the compressor clutch would far exceed the ampacity of the 24 volt Leece-Neville transformer-rectifier. Hate to be negative.

reb87

I have hauled 30000 bushels of corn 1000 bushels a trip for 30 miles round trip in the last 3 weeks and run the ac almost every run and had no problems yet. I think it is going to work ok. The condenser fans only run for about two seconds when they cycle on. Ive only been running the inside fan on low as it freezes me out run any higher. I need to do the dual fuel line mod as I had to turn up the idle rpm to smooth the engine out(it was really vibrating the condenser on the back at idle, had to turn it up to about 8 hundred with the ac on now all is smooth but it runs about 1000rpm at idle with the ac off now)

reb87

That is roughly 900 miles with several engine starts and stops every day. Ill get some more pics tomorrow of where I mounted the on off switch and what my compressor mount looks like.

reb87

I highly recommend you download the TM referenced above( TB 9-2320-273-13&P-2) for putting ac in the 915a1. The Red Dot kit put in the 915a1 by the military is also 24 volt and very similar to the hmmwv kit. Ill try to get some more pics taken today.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's a pic of the compressor mount kit for the 855 Cummins. Thanks to Reb87 for sniffing out the p/n. The local Red Dot dealer could not source the mil p/n's. By the way, for those of you not near a Red Dot dealer, the local dealer in Houston is set up to sell you Red Dot parts via phone and cc, and UPS you the parts. Call Fallon at 713-671-2700 or fsheffield@tkofhouston.com. She is extremely helpful!

Attachments

reb87

I have that bracket and have had some trouble keeping the compressor tight. I am going to make a second support with a bolt for adjusting the tension and attach it to the back of the compressor. The bracket(rd-9-10055 )in the 915a1 ac tm would be a better choice as it has a threaded tension device.

Last edited:

agazza2

After trying to get the RD-9-10055 from RedDot, and finding out it not available, I ended up ordering the Bracket from AP Air P/N 995-126. This can be purchased from AP Air, contact Lindsey Trauger
Phone 515.332.5500 e-mail Lindsey@apairinc.com It has a back support that bolts to the block. I should receive this shortly, and will post photos once it is mounted. Attached is a photo of the bracket.

Attachments

agazza2

I have located the original bracket. There are a 3 remaining per the RedDot Distributor. The P/N RD-9-10055-0P is correct. It has to have the -0P on it for them to locate the part. Les with Kool Radiator, 734-285-6820 , koolradiator@comcast.net can get these mounts for $186.92 plus S/H. He says after the 3 are gone, they can remake more, but the cost will be higher. This kit includes the bracket, belt and bolts for the Cummins NTC-400, 14.1 liter in the M915, M916, M920.

reb87

As an update to this thread the AC kit is still going strong with no problems keeping my 915A1 cool or overwhelming my alternator.

painter paul

I just got my M915A1 a/c operating today. I put it in late last summer and it wouldn't hold a vacuum when I sucked it down. I decided to wait over fall and winter and spring and took it to a friend with more a/c experience. He has seen it before on a new system that has sat too long,drying out the compressor seal, He put in more oil, charged it and it seems to be cooling great. My maiden voyage is Thurs to the Topeka show so I will find out if it stays charged.