• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Humvee Generator rattle / Video - Little confused on my options?

buckroseau

Been driving my 1985 M998 Humvee quite a bit, just took it on about a 600 mile round deer hunting trip last weeknd to northern Minnesota. About half way through that trip I started to notice a slight rattle, it got worse on the way home. Attached a youtube link to a video I just took.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2dmNauhBK0&feature=youtu.be

The volt gauge is running in about the mid yellow at this point as well. Took a few photos's of the generator I have. I was looking online and I don't see an exact replacement, or at least I'm not finding it? I see a, " Niehoff" that keeps popping up, but then a few of those sites say you need a different bracket with no additional information?

I did take the belts off and ran it without the generator turning......no rattle.

Just wondering if the guru's could steer me in the right direction on options?

Thanks in advance, Matt

Attachments

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That one is shot. You are looking for a military standard 60 amp 24 volt alternator. They are all functionally the same regardless of manufacturer.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is the one you want, SAW is the supplier to the military. That is actually not a bad price. It fits dozens of different military vehicles from the 1960's on up.

buckroseau

Update: Generator replace with new one this evening. Volt meter is back up in the green and no more rattling. 2 questions:

1. Is there any value to the old generator, or just file it in the scrap metal bin?

2. After initially starting it a few times it idled way down and almost died a couple times. Seems to come out of it and then continue to idle fine. I'm assuming this is because the batteries might be slightly discharged?

Matt

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1. Scrap metal bin. Keep the pulley if you did not move it across.
2. Unrelated to alternator.

79f250guy

If you are going to scrap it I'd be interested in the cover that covers up the wires if your new one came with one. The one on my gen is missing.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have to make sure batteries are charged before starting truck....low batteries cause regulator issues, and or PCB/EESS box issues.
Those 60 amp units have mounting issues.....lower slotted adj. tab on aluminum bracket cracks, rear support bracket gets loose [ stud loosens, or breaks ] causing alt. mount tab to break.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks