• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HUMVEE Help, Tips and tricks anything!

shawnshumvee

HI. My name is Shawn and I'm in Wisconsin. I'm new to this site and forums in general so if I'm doing something right, please bear with me. Now having said that, I have a nice M998 with a 6.5 GEP. it runs great (very hard starting when its cold and when it sat for a few days) She drives good and looks bad ass, as you guys already know. So i have a few questions and hoping you guys can shed some light.

1. I have X Doors that was kinda messed up a bit. The plastic film was crap so i took a razor blade and removed all of it. Now my Windows look perfect! Nice and clear! Question: Was was that a mistake?

2. when its cold out side and i go to start the humvee, it pops off but dies right away, about 30 times doing that it will run. I'm thinking this is a fuel issue? The engine pops so i do have fuel present and spark spark present or else i wouldn't have any ignition at all. I should also say that i don't know crap about desiel. just learning now. I do have knowledge on the gasoline internal combustion engine.

Any help, tricks and tips would be a Huge help.
Thanks

DanM7890

Welcome to the forum. Biggest thing to learn about forums is the search feature. I can't stress enough about trying to use that before make numerous threads. The likelihood someone has asked the same question already and has a handful of suggestions is probable.

On the issue of hard starting. I had an issue similar to this when first getting into Humvee's. My issue was after sitting or when it's cold out, I didn't give the glow plugs long enough before trying to crank. If your wait light isn't working you should look into the Technical Manuals (TM) and read into it.

Chief_919

If it starts and runs briefly before dying most likely you are losing prime in the fuel system. Usually that is because your fuel return lines/caps are leaking and it is time to put a new return line kit in it.

That solves the start then die issue 99% of the time.

BLK HMMWV

Welcome I suggest you read all of the stickys on the top of the HMMWV section.
As to the plastic you peeled off the glass on your X doors.
It was there as part of the ballistic glass to help control the splintering of the glass inside the vehicle.
so to answer the question if your not planning on getting shot at or hit with small arms fire or grenade fragments I wouldn't worry to much about it.
Eventually your window glass will also start to delaminate and it will look like air bubbles trapped inside. A that point you might want to replace them and put the plastic side in.
Care should be taken when washing them. this is also found in the technical manual for your vehicle.

Wire Fox

I read something about "Spark spark..." Diesel ignites fuel by compression only-no spark. When cold (anything below 65F, if I recall correctly), the glow plugs must cycle to warm the cylinder so the fuel can ignite easily. Like everyone here has said, read the TM. There's a Technical Manual section at the top of this page. Find the HMMWV Operator manual by browsing through that and see what they have to say about how to start the HMMWV, paying close attention to that "Wait to Start" light.

jeffy777

Before we go to far diagnosing a fuel issue. When it is cold outside I do things a little different. Are you waiting for the wait light to go out? If you are if it is 30+ I will do that process once if it is below 30 I will do that as much as 3 times waiting a few minutes in between. I have yet to have it start but Wisconsin is different than Virginia 30+ is normal winter conditions. I have dealt with 3 days one -5 day.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks