• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Humvee Leaking Hub?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
HMMWV = High Maintenance Money Wasting Vehicle.

Get used to all of it's little surprises .
It's the gift that keeps on giving.
Most of the time when you least expect it.
BH
That's why the government has motorpools to maintain them , it seems a lot of these new owners don't understand when they buy them they become the "motorpool". And it is now up to them to daily, weekly, monthly inspections and repairs.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
That's why the government has motorpools to maintain them , it seems a lot of these new owners don't understand when they buy them they become the "motorpool". And it is now up to them to daily, weekly, monthly inspections and repairs.
I like the "but its tough its military grade" yeah. Built by the lowest bidder and there are 6 replacements for everyone that breaks

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

BLK HMMWV

What !!! you have to wrench on them!!!
I'd venture most of the miles put on them when in the service were by kids basically just learning to drive.
And they drove them like they stole them.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I know this subject has been covered ad nauseum...truck has 10k miles, of which I have contributed 1k. Started daily and driven at least weekly. Out of the blue comes the dreaded g/o leak with has splattered the tire, and unfortunately, the body as well. Stuff is hard to clean off.

Yup, pretty common.

When this happened to me the advice was to just find an NOS surplus halfshaft, rather than mess with pulling the old one and dismantling it to put on a boot. It is MUUUUUUUUCH faster to replace the whole thing, and when I needed mine they could be had for a reasonable price (<$150).

I advise pulling and replacing the entire assembly. You can sell or store the removed one for other uses/spares. My two removed ones are helping keep part of my garage floor occupied, and doing a great job of it...

If you are patient, and clean it thoroughly, you may be able to tape your torn boot in place with wide electrical tape or another flexible tape. It isn't a great solution, but helps keep what remains of the grease inside where it is needed. It at least slows the leak. I wouldn't go off-roading like that, but you can drive around at least.

Bulldogger

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As you can see from the painful replies, it is always something coming up on these rides, but they make up for it in other ways.

Welcome to the club.

BDGR

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup, pretty common.

When this happened to me the advice was to just find an NOS surplus halfshaft, rather than mess with pulling the old one and dismantling it to put on a boot. It is MUUUUUUUUCH faster to replace the whole thing, and when I needed mine they could be had for a reasonable price (<$150).

I advise pulling and replacing the entire assembly. You can sell or store the removed one for other uses/spares. My two removed ones are helping keep part of my garage floor occupied, and doing a great job of it...

If you are patient, and clean it thoroughly, you may be able to tape your torn boot in place with wide electrical tape or another flexible tape. It isn't a great solution, but helps keep what remains of the grease inside where it is needed. It at least slows the leak. I wouldn't go off-roading like that, but you can drive around at least.

Bulldogger

Attachments

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These guys have never been in the military, and simply just don't know.
Ignorance is Strength.
Well there are a lot of members that have never been in the military that know these truck inside and out. There are a lot of people that were in the military that don't have a clue how to fix them , pretty good at breaking them knowing there is a motorpool to fix them. So once they are surplused you have two choices either have deep pockets and find someone who knows how to repair them or be willing to spend the reading TM's and education yourself.

STRATERRA TACTICAL

Well there are a lot of members that have never been in the military that know these truck inside and out. There are a lot of people that were in the military that don't have a clue how to fix them , pretty good at breaking them knowing there is a motorpool to fix them. So once they are surplused you have two choices either have deep pockets and find someone who knows how to repair them or be willing to spend the reading TM's and education yourself.
Agreed. I don't know much about Hmmwvs. 90% of that little I have learned has been in the year since I left and got one for myself, and my business. Sure I spent time in the motorpool...we had 5 soldiers doing PMCS on 75 vehicles, and just as many generators and ECUs because everyone else was deployed, and then I was just deployed. The last time I touched one was in 2007 when mine hit an IED. After that it was all up armored hiluxes and land cruisers, and we had the mechanics from other units run as security in case we had vehicle issues. I didn't get one because they are reliable, I got one as a personal victory over the bad guys that failed...and for marketing purposes lol. Now I am on a quest to make it dependable, just like I have done with my other vehicles.

Last edited:

tage

Not exactly what I was getting at. But I generally agree. A team of engineers (civilians) built these trucks, and ultimately lowest contract bidder. What I was getting at is that a lot of the new buyers are buying these trucks because they look cool / play army, and have no idea what it means to have the lowest bid contractor as a builder. However, at the end of the day you're right. You can read all the TM's through the -30 and have a very very good understanding of how this truck operates, and if you could turn a wrench; one can fix these trucks. They're definitely not rocket science. However, the recent egress of forum members have been the third type of owners. No deep pockets, and no mechanical ability. they won't even download the TM's, and I highly suspect because it's not an easy read.

tage

Agreed. I don't know much about Hmmwvs. 90% of that little I have learned has been in the year since I left and got one for myself, and my business. Sure I spent time in the motorpool...we had 5 soldiers doing PMCS on 75 vehicles, and just as many generators and ECUs because everyone else was deployed, and then I was just deployed. The last time I touched one was in 2007 when mine hit an IED. After that it was all up armored hiluxes and land cruisers, and we had the mechanics from other units run as security in case we had vehicle issues. I didn't get one because they are reliable, I got one as a personal victory over the bad guys that failed...and for marketing purposes lol. Now I am on a quest to make it dependable, just like I have done with my other vehicles.
good ole surge days lol

gestut

Just for future reference don`t forget that a blocked vent line can cause hub seals to leak.
I am noticing fron left leak from what it seems like the output seal the oil drips and follows the hub down to drain plug and drip nut at the bottom. The input seal seems to have no sign of oil. I want to check the vent if its clogged first. How do I check a clogged vent? P.s had the humvee from govt planet first long drive and noticed leak. Thankyou

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How do you check if the vent line is blocked , I want to check that before i replace the seal , thanks
There should be a small black plastic tube (like 1/8" dia.) coming off the top of the hub, headed for the engine bay and ultimately to the air cleaner housing. It tends to get brittle, and can be plugged, cracked, or both. Check it like any other bit of tubing; disconnect and give a blow or suck on it, should feel air move to some degree. When in doubt, replace it (all around).

BDGR

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks