• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Humvee m998 differential output shaft play

Hummermark

Hi, if you have up and down movement on the output flange (I.e the brake disc rotor) of a Humvee, no oil leaks, flange nut is tight. How do you get rid of this play?

It's causing no problems, no noises, I just noticed that of the four output shafts one has play.

Thanks

SmartDrug

Old thread, but related-

My M1123 front differential INPUT s seems to have a good amount of play, about 1/2-3/4” of rotation before hitting resistance (wheels on ground, parking break set). This can make a “clunk” sound occasionally, but it’s small and hard to notice. This is a new one for me, should I be looking at cracking the pumpkin and re-setting the backlash or is this normal as well? How much play do these usually have?

For what it’s worth, this seems to be roughly the same amount of play into and out of the T Case and rear differential, but I only hear it occasionally from the front. No front to rear play, no slip at the joints(all lubed), but rotationally there is 1/2-3/4”.

Thoughts?

EDIT: I just realized the OP was about the output shaft, my play is in the driveshaft into the differential.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks