• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

humvee motor into a cucv?

bigflew

how much diferance is there between the 6.2l from a cucv and 6.2 or 6.5 from a hummvee? more to the point i am shure the swap into a cucv is not too bad but can you use the headers from the humvee motor?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think they will fit. All else should be OK. Need to change the front accessories and the 24 solenoids on the IP too. Oh yeah, the intake is a bit different. Other than that stuff, not too bad.

jimm1009

You will also need to sway out the pulleys since you don't need a 4 groove pulley system and the tach drive is on the back where the vacuum pump needs to go for the CUCV.
It is a very easy swap as I have done it twice.
I seem to remember that the engine driven fuel pump is slightly different due to the angle of intake line coming off the frame for the CUCV but these pumps are not too bad at the auto parts store.
jimm1009

Chief_919

You need to swap the intake and exhaust manifolds, the injection pump (or at least swap the top plates), the vacum pump, pulleys, and the water crossover with the thermostat may have a different angle where the radiator hose connects.

Also watch the oil pans, if you don't swap them your dipsticks may not read right.

Crash_AF

So you can swap the top off of the injection pump to only change the solenoid/fast idle? I'm thinking of picking up a HMMWV motor for my Suburban project and was curious about that. I'm assuming you also have to swap out the glow plugs for the correct 12v ones?

Later,
Joe

HardCorps79

I'm thinking of doing this swap too- came across some rebuilt HMMWV 6.2 engines in the crate through a guy I know. They look like they're brand new- shiny and clean, with capped openings, etc.

So do I understand this correctly- to swap them you need to keep the CUCV:
-intake manifold
-exhaust manifold/headers
-vacuum pump
-IP top plate/solenoid
-Water
-IP mounted vacuum modulator
-Pulleys (is this for the 6.5 only? are the 6.2 ones the same as on the CUCV?)
-Oil Pan

Anything else?
Do any of these require additional modification or are they basically plug-n-play?

I'm thinking it would be sweet to drop a basically new engine in. Anyone have experience with the in-the-crate gov't remans? Any foresight would be great before I dive into this.

ida34

The glow plugs need to be swapped as the cucv uses 12 volt plugs and the humvee uses 24 volt. I also think every sensor needs to be changed. I thought the humvee has all packard connnectors while the cucv uses gm connectors. I am not sure about the sensors but that was rattling around in my head.

res0wc18

so other than the necessary 12v fuel solenoid, one could make everything else work if her wanted to and may not have it completly correct but would run and drive manually?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks