• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Humvee purchase, need advice

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With jeeps yes... wrenching on jeeps... humvee... no. Never owned one
I have had jeeps my whole life. Nothing like the Humvee. TM’s are really good at solving problems. I think you are better off with a different vehicle. Humvee isn’t for everyone and that’s not an insult.

dbalogh

Thank you
I have had jeeps my whole life. Nothing like the Humvee. TM’s are really good at solving problems. I think you are better off with a different vehicle. Humvee isn’t for everyone and that’s not an insult.
Thank you .. ill keep that in mind. Thanks for your help... Den

GTUnit

Call RetiredWarHorses and get his advice and some info on pricing.
Auction trucks are a PITA. If you want to potentially spend a lot of time playing with it (repairs, maintenance, hunting for missing parts) then you can get a auction one but I would not recommend it. Lately they are auctioning crap.

dbalogh

Call RetiredWarHorses and get his advice and some info on pricing.
Auction trucks are a PITA. If you want to potentially spend a lot of time playing with it (repairs, maintenance, hunting for missing parts) then you can get a auction one but I would not recommend it. Lately they are auctioning crap.
Yea I been on there.. I agree

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Auction trucks are definitely hit or miss. Yes, there are many trucks that are basically runners with minimal effort. There are also trucks that end up as parts trucks. I have had it both ways. I once ended up putting so much into a HMMWV I could have bought it retail (that was my M1045). Other times, you get lucky and the truck is turn-key. There are plenty of success stories. There are also many costly ($$$) stories. My M1045 needed quite a lot. I did it because it happened so slowly ("nickles and dimes") that I was way too far before I realized it. So, I finished it. It needed everything, including an engine. I was able to get out from under it, though.

frauhansen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With jeeps yes... wrenching on jeeps... humvee... no. Never owned one
If you have realy wrenched on jeep, thats always only simple cars, yu can wrench an hmmwvs. Thats the same... cars from the 80th...
But if you only made a oil change and no work thats goes deeply... buy a 100% car and fix the issues thats comes around. If you are in wrenching, you would not say you wrenched on jeeps... you would say you are in wrenching..

ups... long way for the same... hmmwv is expansive.. so better buy a 100% truck when you not know the map!

dbalogh

If a alte
If you have realy wrenched on jeep, thats always only simple cars, yu can wrench an hmmwvs. Thats the same... cars from the 80th...
But if you only made a oil change and no work thats goes deeply... buy a 100% car and fix the issues thats comes around. If you are in wrenching, you would not say you wrenched on jeeps... you would say you are in wrenching..

ups... long way for the same... hmmwv is expansive.. so better buy a 100% truck when you not know the map!
[/QUOTE. If a alternator goes i fix it.... if a starter goes i change it..... put bumpers on wired lighting..... never pulled an engine... don't have that equipment.....
R

frauhansen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let's wait until everyone beats me... but wiring is not wrenching.
At the HMMWV everything is so far visible and accessible. Sometimes with more sometimes with less pain. But everything is so far logical and developed with the focus on field repair.
So don't be scared about wrenching.
What I wanted to say is, rather buy something that is ready and tested. Everything you have to buy extra parts is exorbitantly expensive or costs you so much time that it is then also expensive again.
If you have parts stock and you don't care.... buy something from gov planet. The ready to go ones are bought by rich kids who have no clue, the parts donors by people who can just then build one up. For themselves or just to sell. The former have no idea but money. The latter are the ones you should buy from and apply what you learned while wrenching on the Jeep. Check bearing clearance, put it underneath, feel it yourself, drive it, use your gut feeling. Make your experience.

dbalogh

Let's wait until everyone beats me... but wiring is not wrenching.
At the HMMWV everything is so far visible and accessible. Sometimes with more sometimes with less pain. But everything is so far logical and developed with the focus on field repair.
So don't be scared about wrenching.
What I wanted to say is, rather buy something that is ready and tested. Everything you have to buy extra parts is exorbitantly expensive or costs you so much time that it is then also expensive again.
If you have parts stock and you don't care.... buy something from gov planet. The ready to go ones are bought by rich kids who have no clue, the parts donors by people who can just then build one up. For themselves or just to sell. The former have no idea but money. The latter are the ones you should buy from and apply what you learned while wrenching on the Jeep. Check bearing clearance, put it underneath, feel it yourself, drive it, use your gut feeling. Make your experience.
Thanks man... appreciate you all

frauhansen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
you will need a little bit more of this... but milcommoguy is right,,,, use your brain and think whitch brains the car is

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It boils down to how much sweat equity, time and your tolerance for risk, buying a surplus truck is a crap shoot and as stated can take up to a year for all the paperwork.

It is much more challenging to work on than a Jeep, access to just about everything is much more limited, you will loose allot more skin working on a HMMWV.

But of course doing all the work yourself can be very rewarding.

Even if you go the "ready roll" route you will no doubt spend some time making it your own.

You will find allot of folks here that can help you along the way!!

Good luck on your adventure!!!

MM

dbalogh

you will need a little bit more of this... but milcommoguy is right,,,, use your brain and think whitch brains the car is
It boils down to how much sweat equity, time and your tolerance for risk, buying a surplus truck is a crap shoot and as stated can take up to a year for all the paperwork.

It is much more challenging to work on than a Jeep, access to just about everything is much more limited, you will loose allot more skin working on a HMMWV.

But of course doing all the work yourself can be very rewarding.

Even if you go the "ready roll" route you will no doubt spend some time making it your own.

You will find allot of folks here that can help you along the way!!

Good luck on your adventure!!!

MM
I appreciate it. Im trying to get enough cash together for something mechanically sound. All the rest ill do along the way. . Thank you very much for your help... Den

BLK HMMWV

I appreciate it. Im trying to get enough cash together for something mechanically sound. All the rest I'll do along the way. . Thank you very much for your help... Den
I always ask the same questions when I see these posts.
What are your plans for the HMMWV.
Are you going to restore it or mod it into something else.

You mention you want a slant back.
do you want it to have a functional turret in it?
If not, then you could roll the dice and wait for something to come out of an auction.
It will be stripped of almost all of the turret parts, turret support, doors, windshields.

If your heart is set on a slant back that has all of that in it, you got 2 options.

Buy one from someone like Retired Warhorse and cry once.
Or buy a stripped one missing all kinds of hard-to-find pieces spend months if not years trying to find the missing parts
possibly buying some of the missing parts from him and in the long run end up sending it to someone like him to eventually finish it.

Are your jeeps watertight?
Because your slant back most likely won't be.
do some leg work about registration.
just because your neighbor has one doesn't mean it's going to make it easy for you to get your registered for the street.
Not sure about your state but some states it's easier to older it is not the newer it is.
insurance?
Can you garage it or store it inside? some insurance companies require it.

At some point in time, you're going to get rid of the thing.
So, keep that in mind.
Everyone can find them at auction, everyone that did is trying to source all the same missing parts.
It will be easier to sell and recoup some of your sweat equity the more original and complete it is when that time comes.

It starts out as just wanting to scratch an itch and that turns into a full-blown rash.
Next thing you know you're self-medicating or seeking professional help.
Have fun
Self-Medicated

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks