• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Humvee road trip reliability

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So my toy is an 1989 M998 with 25K on it, everything is in good working order, new tires, fuel pump, injectors , cooling system in top shape, the question is , I want to drive it to the lake which is a bout 250 miles each way and while we are there we will be in supporting our Veterans in the local parade on the Fourth and will also be going off road and hitting the trails, I will be driving it back.
I have done the local off road parks which is about 70 miles each way and wheeled all day without any issues.
Now, am I asking too much of my Humvee for a 600-700 mile trip round trip and going off road
Or should I expect the unexpected and have issues on the way
Maybe I should be asking how long of a trip have you driven your Humvee's without issues, or is it part of the adventure

Thank you

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Shouldn't be a problem but on any former MV make sure you have a towing rider on you Ins or belong to AAA. Kc to Denver and back a few days later.

Wire Fox

I really wish I saved the issue, but one of the 90s PS Magazines had a center comic strip all about how failure to conduct proper PMCS will lead to mission failure, lost time, and damaged equipment-but it was all themed to be like Batman, with every bat-gadget failing spectacularly and his butler grilling him the whole way about his failed PM...

Moral of the story, if you're up to snuff with all of your PMCS and everything checks out as you're setting out to depart for the trip, you should be fine. Having that tow package is extra insurance. Carrying some spare parts you're likely to damage while off roading (half-shafts, anyone?) is even better, since you'll have supplies you need that you won't be able to quickly get if you were to break something.

Lowmaks

I've put 400 miles on my M1123 with nothing crazy happening so far, so you could be ok just based on that. I found out that at 65mph, my driver's side door likes to spring open, but I figured out how to lock in it place now hahaha! I've been using her as a daily driver when I leave the gas-saver for the wife.

ari

I took mine on a approx 200 mile round trip fishing the other weekend I have done afew other long trips had no issues at all make sure you do pmcs. I normally bring a tool box and extra fluids antifreeze trans fluid ect just in case

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guy's, I do have a dedicated tool box in the Humvee, AAA is on for the Towing, and yes plenty of fluids for us and the Humvee.
I also replaced the front seat with Corbeau suspension seats, it makes for a better ride.
This will be an 8 day journey or adventure, should be fun

smoke

if you don't have already. Pick up a non-contact infrared thermometer with laser targeting from harbor freight,etc.... You can stop and check temps on things( geared hubs,etc...) just my 2 cents. Take extra filters,etc....

avlon01

I drive mine to Green Bay, WI and back - about 300 miles - every couple of months. I keep mine well maintained, follow PCMS, and have some extra fluids and a good toolkit. Never had any problems with mine!

Havok

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ive done 100 miles round trip to go off roading at the beach no issues as well as a 70 mile round trip in bump to bump ****ty Boston traffic in 80* weather with no issues. I dont think the trip will be the issue its how bad are you going to beat on it off roading?

Awol

Ive done 100 miles round trip to go off roading at the beach no issues as well as a 70 mile round trip in bump to bump ****ty Boston traffic in 80* weather with no issues. I dont think the trip will be the issue its how bad are you going to beat on it off roading?
Hah no way, you take it thru Boston? That's pretty cool! I bet it looks badass in the tunnel!

Havok

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's loud as f*CK in there with no doors. It probably looks badass but I like to be in there as little as possible. I work in Boston. It's a tight squeeze with my parking garage under my building and Back Bay "cruising" is more like taking up two lanes instead of one but the office gets a kick out of it

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm at the age were I'm pretty much done beating the crap out of my toys, pretty much trail ridding with the occasional challenge in Mid Michigan. I decided to change the oil in the hubs tonight, of course one of them has black oil compared to the other ones, nothing seem bad, so I filled it up and took it for a road test and the was still dirty, I took out the side plate and ran two cans of brake clean, also the magnets had black reside, more than than the other hubs, a second round of new oil, I will do a quick road test tomorrow, but I'm thinking that I might have a quick hub overhaul before I leave or is it normal to have black gear oil, there was also a bit of water, when I first removed the fill plug, a bit of brownish fluid came out

someoldmoose

It could break at the end of the driveway, or not for 100,000 miles. PCMS is your best insurance. Knowing WHAT to do if something breaks is 2nd best. Ya rolls the cubes, ya takes yer chances.

Augi

I routinely do 1000 and 1500 mile trips up and down California. The Sierra, Death Valley, Joshua Tree, Anza Borrego to name a few places...

The 4-speed helps and so do the noise canceling headsets.

Shredding tires is my biggest problem. I've had a couple trips where I came back with two barely holding air with big plugs stuffed in the sidewalls. My advice: don't ditch the runflats for anything.

Augi

someoldmoose

My advice: don't ditch the runflats for anything.
WORD ! ! And the headsets. . I am gonna use wireless civvie stuff with Bluteeth . Have it in my M/C helmet, it is intercom capable but "I'm a Loner Dottie , , ," I like the idea of people "leaving the old crazy man singing to him self alone" as I roll, or sit at lights. Not anti-social, just not a fan of humanity. Too many years answering their phone calls.

Last edited:

ryanruck

Add another in the "if you take care of it, it will take care of you" column.

Just recently I drove my truck to a friend's an hour away and from there we drove both our HMMWVs to Haspin Acres in Indiana for the recent SS rally. About 2.5 hours out and 2 back for me. Zero issues except trying to keep EGTs reasonable on some long grades since I've got my IP turned up (I could stand to turn it down a little...).

Before that I drove it 2 hours to a different friend's house and back. Only problem was a then undiagnosed fuel tank vent plugging issue which was causing fuel starvation. Got that figured out and taken care of a long time ago. No other issues on that trip aside from that.

I'd feel pretty confident driving my truck across the state and back at this point now that I've gotten most all the maintenance issues from her time in service caught up and resolved.

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also changed the oil in all hubs and the both diff's
I replaced the oil with Lucas 80-90 Heavy Duty.
I can't believe the difference in noise level, everything seems much quieter, I might be a bit crazy, but the gear noise seems to be lower, or it just might be the new oil.
The old oil had about 3K, and was replaced by the people I had bought it from. So I don't now what was in it.
IMG_1698.JPG

Awol

It's loud as f*CK in there with no doors. It probably looks badass but I like to be in there as little as possible. I work in Boston. It's a tight squeeze with my parking garage under my building and Back Bay "cruising" is more like taking up two lanes instead of one but the office gets a kick out of it

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Yeah I would imagine its pretty tight once you're in the city. That's still badass tho!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks