• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Humvee Speed

jeffy777

Are you staying in gear long enough or is it short shifting up to 3rd and slowly getting up to speed? I ended up having to adjust my TV cable.
That is something that never crossed my warped brain. People say good things about you and I am starting to think they may be right! :) I will have to study that better.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
How much did you adjust the cable reward?
Dang near to the end of it if memory serves. It was substantial in the amount I had to adjust. I literally would start out in 1st, then hit 2nd and 3rd by 20mph. It was a dog before. Now it works wonderfully.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
That is something that never crossed my warped brain. People say good things about you and I am starting to think they may be right! :) I will have to study that better.
Just pay attention to shift pattern from a dead stop. There's two shifts to hit 3rd. There should be some time in between them though. These things are geared low enough to pull 3rd gear at low speeds. But with 150hp it's not getting anywhere fast. If you notice a short shift, just come to another stop and put it in first and manually shift things out and see if acceleration is improved. Then adjust from there. I'm sure it's written in the TM on the proper process to do it, but I've just always done that by feel.

Wire Fox

View attachment 691931So I checked voltage on plug shown in pic. Which port, if this is the cadillac valve, do you blow air thru to free up fan?

Thx
You're not blowing air into the cadillac valve itself. Look for the hose that is going to the fan clutch assembly. You should see it go from the cadillac valve to an elbow on the fan shroud, and then that goes straight across to the fan clutch. Just disconnect the hose somewhere outside of the shroud and blow compressed air into the side leading to the fan clutch. Apply and release the pressure numerous times until the clutch finally pops free and you can see the fan clutch slide out about half an inch each time you apply pressure. If the clutch is really stuck, you might need to apply light blows with a rubber mallet to the clutch (or press a board to the clutch assembly and tap the end of the board).

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 691931So I checked voltage on plug shown in pic. Which port, if this is the cadillac valve, do you blow air thru to free up fan?

Thx
On my HMMWV it's like this: Follow the hoses from the Cadillac valve (yours might not say Cadillac on it, mine doesn't because it was not made in Cadillac MI). One hose will go into the front firewall on the driver side of the vehicle, and if you look into the fan shroud on that spot you can see a hose that goes from the other side of that point over to the center of the fan. I find it easiest to disconnect at the front firewall location and put a fitting on there, instead of at the valve. In the case of one HMMWV I worked on, we were lucky enough to be able to thread a male air fitting right into that particular spot and then could chuck the compressor hose right on it. If you end up using a different kind of fitting, you'll want to clamp that sucker pretty tight due to the amount of pressure it's got to handle.

Once connected, as noted you'll need a good bit pf pressure to disengage the clutch. I second the advice to gently whack on it to help free it up if it doesn't noticeably move and allow the fan to be turned easily by hand.

Bulldogger

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks