• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Humvee summer question

Wire Fox

The only problem I see with the folded windshield on the HMMWV is that your review mirrors are now looking at the sky instead of behind you. 1/4 tons (jeeps) had the mirror mounted to the cowl and therefore you could fold the windshield down and still have review mirror. So to be "legal" you may have to mount a different mirror or reconfigure the mirrors to work. The truck was design from the beginning to be able to go "tactical" and fold the windshield down. Remember the truck was design to fill the 1/4 ton roll and 3/4-5/4 ton rolls and there for had to be able to be tactical in the build requirements. I saw one M998 in the early 90s on a post that had the windshield folded down and that one was for the CG to use to review the troops. So there that.... LOL!
Original HMMWV mirror was mounted to the body instead of the windshield frame, so it was much more able to work with the windshield folded down, though those mirrors really sucked and were hard to adjust. Actually, there were a lot of neat tricks the HMMWV had in it's original design that were since dropped because it was decided that it was better to have certain functions be more robust instead of being able to do a little bit of everything.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

Stonewall

That metal strip is the channel. If you took it off, you would find that you can slide the actual soft top from it.

I go topless periodically during summer onths, but have never tried folding down the windshield. My soft top does not have a channel in the front, just a metal strip along the front that is held to the A pillar by about 10 self-tapping screws. As noted, it is hard sometimes to get them to go happily back into the holes, meaning you have to be careful or you'll cross-thread one and ruin the threads. It's not very thick and I'd hate to have to rig a thread replacement. I do enjoy taking off the top and using half doors on hot days though.

BDGR

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That metal strip is the channel. If you took it off, you would find that you can slide the actual soft top from it.
Interesting. It certainly doesn't look like it will part from the top/strip. Probably been together 32 years, I suppose that's why. I'll be sure to take a harder look at it the next time I have it off, which won't be soon since it's covered by snow right now.

BDGR

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks